• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing the order of items in a desktop folder?

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
I have a G1 running Cupcake, and I'm wondering if there's a straightforward way to change the order of items within a desktop folder that I created.

I know that I can do this in the following convoluted manner:

1. Create another desktop folder.
2. Move the items one by one from the old folder into the new folder in the order I want them to appear.
3. Delete the old folder.
4. Rename the new folder with the old folder's name.

However, I'd like to be able to re-order the items in a folder without having to create a new folder and without going through all these steps. Am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.
.​

Agreed.

Hmm ... does anyone know the pathname to the file or directory within the Android OS where the Desktop Folders reside? If I knew that, I could go into Linux via the Terminal Emulator and perhaps find and edit the config file for that folder.

I know this is a drastic measure, but I've got a couple of decades of experience with Unix and its offshoots, so this isn't as forbidding as it might seem.

... and besides, it might be fun! :)
.​

Upvote 0
Agreed.

Hmm ... does anyone know the pathname to the file or directory within the Android OS where the Desktop Folders reside? If I knew that, I could go into Linux via the Terminal Emulator and perhaps find and edit the config file for that folder.

I know this is a drastic measure, but I've got a couple of decades of experience with Unix and its offshoots, so this isn't as forbidding as it might seem.

... and besides, it might be fun! :)
.​

First question I would have of you .... Are you rooted so you can even get into the sys files & folders ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones