• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing Thread Prefix

Frisco

=Luceat Lux Vestra=
Jan 19, 2010
androidforums.com
The thread prefix change from the OP drop down "thread tools" menu is functioning differently now.

It is functioning as if the change is being made from the checkbox (at the right of each thread on the thread list) via the drop down menu at the bottom right of the list.

It used to be that we'd be returned to the OP when changing the prefix from that OP post "thread tools" menu, which was very handy because the next step is often to respond to the stated issue.

Now we have to click back into the OP after the prefix change is made. It is not a huge deal of course.. just wishing it had not been changed. Was the change done intentionally?

edit: I'm thick, I just had to look with my eyes open. :eek:

Ducking head in shame

original text below for your entertainment.
I was going to start a new thread, but since its related to prefixes, I'll figured I keep the ideas together. I was notified by Frisco that I had missed changing the prefix on a thread I had merged. Most of the time I find posts where I can help through Unanswered Threads and realized that the prefix does not show up (or in "New Posts"). Is this something that could be added or do I just need to remember to scroll up and check?

Upvote 0
Do you mean going to Thread Tools >> Edit Thread and changing the prefix there? I tried it and it's still taking me back to the thread, not the thread list.

Now I'm wondering if it's just the Guides with the issue. That would fit in with some other rights changes I've been seeing.

Would some Mod please try it here: http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-pulse-mini/295117-hack-put-apps-sd-card.html

That's an archived area, no activity for months. I changed the prefix from "no prefix" to "general" and was popped back to the list. Be sure to do it from the OP and not the check boxes on the right.

Upvote 0
Now I'm wondering if it's just the Guides with the issue. That would fit in with some other rights changes I've been seeing.

Would some Mod please try it here: http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-pulse-mini/295117-hack-put-apps-sd-card.html

That's an archived area, no activity for months. I changed the prefix from "no prefix" to "general" and was popped back to the list. Be sure to do it from the OP and not the check boxes on the right.

changed it from general to support and it left me in the thread afterwards... same when i changed it back

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Just discovered another aspect to the annoyance: no matter which page on the thread list you're on, changing the prefix returns you to the first page, so you have to either user your browser history menu (Firefox) or click back using the page number if you want to respond to the post. :rolleyes:

It looks like the prudent thing for Guides to do is first post the response then change the prefix. ;)

Upvote 0
Hm. This is interesting. I didn't change anything that should affect the behavior of the site as you perform the actions.

Sorry to bring yet another concern to the pile you already have. :eek:

It would seem to be related to group rights if it's not impacting Moderators (or presumably Admins) and only Guides. It did used to be the other way for Guides: When in the OP of a thread and using the drop down "thread tools" menu, selecting "edit" and changing the prefix, clicking "save changes" would send the Guide back to the OP and not to the device page thread list as it does now (to page #1 no matter which page on the thread list the Guide is working from). :(

Upvote 0
Well, I'm saying, "it would seem" (post #16) and "now I'm wondering," (post #9) :D so, to answer your question, no, I'm not sure and that's what we're trying to figure out. ;) I have a strong feeling that it is the Guide group only, but no, no "proof" yet.

Two Mods have no issue, two Guides do.. so, we need more testing if we want to find out. That old thread I linked in post #9 seems like a good place to do the test, as mentioned. :)

Also, I've only tested it in Firefox and IE, as I tossed Chrome a while back.

Meanwhile, the site is fast today..
sFun_crazydance.gif

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
I can confirm that when I edit the prefix through the thread tools in the OP, I am taken back to the device thread list. This happens for me at work (XP, Firefox) and at home (XP, Chroms).

I haven't edited prefixes on my phone yet, but will play in Frisco's recommended thread later. I will give it a shot in Chrome and IE at work as well and report back.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that when I edit the prefix through the thread tools in the OP, I am taken back to the device thread list. This happens for me at work (XP, Firefox) and at home (XP, Chroms).

I haven't edited prefixes on my phone yet, but will play in Frisco's recommended thread later. I will give it a shot in Chrome and IE at work as well and report back.

Thanks doood. :D

Btw, any thread in that archived device area is fine.. the changing back to the original prefix is a "confirmation" of the issue.. plus, I noticed many un-prefixed threads in there as well that can be used... ;)

Upvote 0
I have now changed that link thread's prefix using my work computer in both Chrome and IE (see my earlier post for other tests I've done). I also tested from the browser in my phone (Galaxy Nexus stock, rooted, stock browser).

Each time I am brought back to the thread list.

Summary of my tests:
Home PC - XP Chrome
Work PC - XP Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer
Galaxy Nexus - stock, rooted, stock browser

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I think this is due to the product I put in place to handle the guides groups rights. I'm not sure yet if I can fix it to work with VB default redirecting myself, if I can get support from the developer, or if I just need to remove it.

The product makes my job a lot easier on the back end, but I don't want to do that if makes your jobs a lot harder on the front end.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones