• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing to Android, can I bring TomTom along?

Ollie

Lurker
May 7, 2009
Hello everyone!

I currently have an HTC P3600 (old I know!) running Windows 6.1, with a copy of TomTom installed on it.

Because of my job (plumber) and the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere I use TomTom on a daily basis.

I would very much like to upgrade my handset and move to Android when it becomes available on my operator (SFR in France) later this month.

Is there any way of running TomTom on the handset so I don't get lost in deepest darkest Normandy and get eaten by the locals? ;)

Thank you in advance :D

Hello everyone!

I currently have an HTC P3600 (old I know!) running Windows 6.1, with a copy of TomTom installed on it.

Because of my job (plumber) and the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere I use TomTom on a daily basis.

I would very much like to upgrade my handset and move to Android when it becomes available on my operator (SFR in France) later this month.

Is there any way of running TomTom on the handset so I don't get lost in deepest darkest Normandy and get eaten by the locals? ;)

Question....If you were to get a G1 or an android phone wouldn't you have Google Maps? Not quite a TomTom but I suppose it could keep you safe form the locals! Haha

Upvote 0
Hello everyone!

There is the $$$$$ app TeleNav for $9.99 /month super capibilities

Then there is an app "1 Click Direction" reasonable -- (i use it)

and ... lastly with GPS & Celltower Aided location and google maps on the G1 If you were ever able to read a map your are like light years ahead of just the paper-map .... because you have your location shown on the map ...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys!

I have Google maps on my phone at the moment I think, but have never given it a try.

Does it require that I always have a cellphone connection to use it as the coverage in my neck of the woods isn't brilliant.

Thank you!

:D

Yes if you move pass the edge of the downloaded section of map then the next section will need a connection to downlowd the next section(s) of the map.

Upvote 0
If your looking for a FULLY functioning SatNav application for your Android phone, it has to be ALK Technologies Copilot Live 8. This app is bursting with all the functions that you should be looking for in a SatNav app, but in the convenience of your mobile phone. What's more the version of CoPilot for the iPh*ne (version 7) is rubbish.

I have now been using the application for the last five days and feel it's

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones