Charge before first use?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by justme8800, Oct 1, 2010.

1. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    California
    I just got my new phone (a G2), and I'm super excited. My dad, an electrical engineer, recommended that I plug it in and let it charge fully before first turning the phone on. He also says I should let it drain completely after the first charge, to calibrate the phone's power system.

What do you guys do when you first get a phone? Do you let the battery calibrate? Or does the awesome new phone seduce you into turning it on before it's ready?

Here I sit, watching the little orange light... please turn green, little orange light...

Advertisement

2. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Programmer
    Burlington, KY
    I charge it completely before unplugging it, but I still use it while it's plugged in the first time. Maybe I've been damaging the battery life of my phones and didn't know. :D

3. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Awsome-o
    Birmingham, MI
    Justme, I have heard of this method also. Conditioning the battery..

Charge before use, let it drain down until it turns off by itself, repeat.

I hear its good to do once a month or so...

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy the G2!

4. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    You're not supposed to condition your lithium battery. This is a myth. I don't know why people keep insisting on doing it even though it will just kill your battery faster.

How to Make Your Cell Phone Battery Last Longer - wikiHow

#DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargeable batteries, have a set number of charges in them.

AustraGirl likes this.
  5. sitlet

Apr 11, 2010
    Yep, lithium batteries do not need to be conditioned like older batteries. Its still a good idea to fully charge it when you first get it, but thats all you need to do.