"Charge before first use?"Support

Last Updated: 2010-05-29 12:08:09
  1. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

How many people actually let the phone charge fully before using it?

What does "charge fully" mean, in real terms, assuming you just opened the box?

TIA,

-kj-

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Plug it in and go, for me :D
  3. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

According to the book that came with the phone, you're supposed to fully charge it before it's first use...While this is up for interpretation, I charged mine until the light turned green, then gave it about an additional 4 hours before unplugging it and turning it on for the first time! Hope this helps!
  4. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

I assume that the battery is only initially charged up to 40% on manufacturing because this is the optimal storage capacity for a LiPoly battery. I generally always charge my new phones all the way before first use just to give the battery a fresh fill up. I dont think there is any harm in using it right out of the box though.
  5. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

The main issue is that you need to ensure you have a charge on the battery that will allow you to make it through the activation process. A battery dieing during that time would be very bad.

I personally charged it til the light went green, then unplugged, turned it on and activated and spent the next few hours finding every setting, and what it does for everything:)
  6. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if what I did is what HTC expects, but when I received the phone, I plugged it in immediately. I then turned it on a few seconds later. I left the phone plugged in for maybe 6-7 hours before unplugging it. I did, however, activate it and use it a bit while plugged in.

After the first use, I let the phone die out most of the way before fully charging again, but this time for more like 3-4 hours.

Since then I've never not fully charged the phone (meaning the light turns green -- usually 90-120 minutes). Can't say whether this has helped, but I've had great battery life.

My battery life has been excellent for the month I've had the phone. I get around 24-30 hours (sometimes even more) in before I hit yellow on the battery indicator.
  7. beenz

beenz Well-Known Member

I took mine out of the box, plugged it in, and immediately started downloading apps (while it was doing the first charge). Didn't seem to hurt the battery
  8. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

Charge it now or later. Charge it at any point (dead, 1/2 or almost full). Charge it only partially. Charge it only at high tide. It makes no difference! These are not old nicad batteries. These are Lithium-ion polymer batteries. Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery. There is absolutely no memory and no scheduled cycling required to prolong the battery's life. It's an ideal battery. Just Google Lithium-ion.
  9. kpantz

kpantz Well-Known Member

Anybody recommend bump charging it right out of the box?

(Ducks)