• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge frequently or run til dead?

crumsnatcha

May 2, 2010
A few years ago when I got my first phone, I would throw it on the charger whenever I came home, regardless of where the battery life was at. Over time that really screwed it up... Finally I was informed that you should always drain a phone's battery fully (or atleast wait until it's low) before charging. I've done this ever since and have had no problems with battery life on my phones, BUT all my phones until now have been crappy flip phones.

I've heard on here that the battery in the Evo is different (Lithium-ion as opposed to nickel?) and should be charged frequently, instead of being fully-drained before each charge. Anyway, I'm confused, and I don't want to degrade my battery's performance as it already struggles to get through a whole day.

Can anyone shed some light on the best way to keep your Evo's battery efficient and happy? :)

A few years ago when I got my first phone, I would throw it on the charger whenever I came home, regardless of where the battery life was at. Over time that really screwed it up... Finally I was informed that you should always drain a phone's battery fully (or atleast wait until it's low) before charging. I've done this ever since and have had no problems with battery life on my phones, BUT all my phones until now have been crappy flip phones.

I've heard on here that the battery in the Evo is different (Lithium-ion as opposed to nickel?) and should be charged frequently, instead of being fully-drained before each charge. Anyway, I'm confused, and I don't want to degrade my battery's performance as it already struggles to get through a whole day.

Can anyone shed some light on the best way to keep your Evo's battery efficient and happy? :)

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Upvote 0
How to prolong lithium-based batteries
Cliff notes please

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simple Guidelines
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones