• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge port cover broken?

Ofunke

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
Hi
My charge port cover closes easily but doesn't look like it's secure. Is the clasp really tiny? I can't see a hook at all, can just about feel a curve with my nail. Wondering if it is broken as most people have complained they struggle to get it open. Afraid it will compromise water resistance.

$19.99.....:eek:

glad i took mine off voluntarily. still splash resistant or able to deal with a quick dip. :)

There is another site selling it for $45 a piece, the link I posted is from some other knock off site but it's still better than nothing. I may order 1-2 just to have as back up as I'm sure it's a matter of time before it does break off regardless of how careful I am with it. Honestly it's a pretty bad design, I made that comment to the AT&T rep i purchased from (we're friends and used to work together years ago) and he agreed that it probably wouldn't last too long.

Upvote 0
Utterly ridiculous design feature anyhow! They could have made that port completely water resistant with contacts that would allow charging still... IF you got it wet or damp, make sure you have dried it out before plugging in the cable. You can't use a dock, as the door is in the way, when you dock it. You need to have fingernails on reserve, or carry a butter knife with you.

By the time you buy a couple of those replacement covers to keep on hand, you might as well just buy the extra warranty!

Upvote 0
I received my phone on April 11th, and upon first charging it, I remarked to myself "Hmmmm.....now THAT is a pretty delicate design" while looking at the USB cover.

I've been VERY careful with it, and this morning, when I removed the charger to begin my day, the cover fell off.

Yes, I've been careful to not grab the 'door' with the charger plug. Easily done indeed....this didn't happen.

Grumbling, I set about looking for a replacement. Found one on the net for $20 delivered, so I ordered it.

Then, when time allowed, I opened up the case and looked with headset mounted lenses. The 'hinge' was still intact; the 'foot' of it has just separated from the door. So, I've cyanoacrylate glued the foot back on to the door, and it is curing as it type this. You get one chance to get 'Crazy Glue' right, so I'm giving it hours.

Both the hinge foot and the door well where it mounts have a pebbled surface; that is likely either bedding for glue, or ultrasonic welding that went wrong. We shall see.

There is a screw holding a small cover plate that captures the hinge; there is some sealant on that screw and plate. Opening and closing that a lot will likely compromise water resistance.

Rest assured; I'm not a tinkerer....I would prefer to go the warranty route....but I have NO desire to spend another six hours setting this phone up the way I want it after a trade out for this minor item. That was my decision-making route for the purchase of the replacement....it was not worth $20 to argue with Verizon, get a new phone, and spend all that time re-customizing it.

If Verizon had a shop where I could go and have a new one installed on my phone, that would be my preference. But, such is not the realm of mobile telephone repair. Box, tag, and reissue a new one is the mindless route that works.

Overall, it's a bad design, and I suspect they will have WORLDS of trouble with it.

My part of the problem: I will admit that I am a little obsessive with charging...my policy is to plug in when I can, not when I need to. I would estimate I've opened and closed that door 3-4 times a day since I got it...that would be about 120 cycles so far. I have the wireless charging cover on order, so when it arrives door operations will drop significantly.

But one month of ownership already having such a problem is a bit of black eye for the designer.

Upvote 0
I am on the other side of the street when it comes to charging and to Avoid the broken USB cover hinge.

I avoid it like the plague simply because that is not good for battery longevity.

I use Battery Doctor's Widget to turn off WiFi, sync, and DATA when I am not using the phone.

I have also Disabled every app that I don't use (they can be restored). My battery consumption is very small now:

See this thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/846871-want-improve-battery-life-heres-how.html

And this post in a different thread:
Post: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/846210-battery-draining-quickly.html#post6562393

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips; being a long term smartphone user (oh, yes those early Windows phones...arrggh) I'm familiar with the options.

My philosophy is that I bought the phone to use the features; I do shut off the crap like animated displays, but the auto-associate Bluetooth with my home phone system when I'm there saves me a lot of footsteps finding the phone.....the auto-associate with trusted WiFi systems generally keeps me at or under 2 gb. I don't want to trade off getting a timely e-mail that might pay for the phone and service for several years by not regularly polling....etc, etc. Different strokes and all that.

When I drive for more than 1/2 hour, I charge....that is most of the in and out with the charger. Like I said, when the wireless charger back arrives (why didn't it come with it???), opening and closing the USB will drop way down.

That still does not excuse this door falling off after est. 120 cycles.....be it the 30 days my obsessive recharging took it to happen, or 180 days with a charge every 1.5 days, it's far too soon for a top end phone. From the postings I'm reading, it's fairly common.

They dropped the ball on a really, really easy play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones