• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge time depending on cable

richgm

May 17, 2011
Hi All,

Since updating my N5 to Lollipop I've noticed a massive difference in the charge time depending which cable I use. I have a multitude of different cables and chargers but by experimenting I've found that charge time from a nearly flat battery can vary from under 2 hours to over 8 hours using the same charger and just swapping the cable. In fact the slower charging cables don't even keep up with the battery drain if I use my phone while it's charging.
Has anyone else had the same sort of issues and found a solution or does anyone know which cables to by to get a fast charge rather than a slow one. Or if Lollipop 5.1 will fix this.

Thanks

Rich

Pretty sure that it comes down to physics at the end of the day... and the charging time is related to the amount of current thats pushed down the wire. So its unlikely to be fixed by software (unless they soft reset the universe)...

... as a general rule of thumb, thin cables tend to charge slower than thick ones, and of course some chargers are rated higher than others

Upvote 0
I'm not saying there wasn't a difference before Lollipop but I used to be able to put my phone on charge at night and it would always be full in the morning. Now if I use the wrong cable its still charging when I get up to go to work so Lollipop most certainly has something to do with it.

Upvote 0
As far as i know cable can "tell" charger about current requirements depending on connector pin-out.

Yup, some manufacturer's chargers and their cables do have specific pin-outs or connections or protocols. If I use the Oppo charger and cable, can completely charge the Find 7 in an hour, otherwise it can be up to 8 hours, using another cable and/or charger. And if gaming, the drain is faster than what non-Oppo cables and charger can supply.

Reactions: richgm
Upvote 0
I'm not saying there wasn't a difference before Lollipop but I used to be able to put my phone on charge at night and it would always be full in the morning. Now if I use the wrong cable its still charging when I get up to go to work so Lollipop most certainly has something to do with it.
It's very likely that you have some processes running that you didn't before - and that's not to say that's OK.

Try GSam Battery Monitor. Install, let it run an hour or two, then turn your screen off and don't use your phone - all on battery.

Go to the graphs first, see if it's being held active with the screen off, then go to the listings - see what's been holding it awake.

If you can't narrow it down, Helium Backup, factory data reset, restore the backup.

Upvote 0
Try GSam Battery Monitor. Install, let it run an hour or two, then turn your screen off and don't use your phone - all on battery.

Go to the graphs first, see if it's being held active with the screen off, then go to the listings - see what's been holding it awake.
Not percentage - active with the screen off.

Upvote 0
Not percentage - active with the screen off.
I left the Phone over night and then took this screen shot first thing this morning. Hope its what you were on about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-26-06-21-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-26-06-21-05.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
I've taken two screen shots of an overnight charge. Same charger just two different cables. As you can see it basically just trickle charges on the second one.
You are right - it almost looks like it is charging at USB rate, not at AC rate. The cable can make a noticeable difference in charging speed (from personal experience) :) It may be just a bad cable.

But do what EarlyMon recommended - get that screen print to see if your phone is being held awake by a malfunctioning app

Reactions: richgm and EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones