chargersAccessories

Last Updated:

1. escalade6103

escalade6103 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if anybody knew if a blackberry charger would hurt my dinc. I hav several BB charges but I didn't knw if thy were rated the same or if it wld fry my dinc

Advertisement
  2. scion193

scion193 Active Member

Yes it likely will. Check the amp rating on the charger...you don't want to go over "1A" to charge the INC. Anything less than that will be fine, it will just charge slower (i.e. USB ~ 0.5A).

3. Tmart

Tmart Well-Known Member

This has been discussed many times here, a majority of DINC users came from blackberry storms and there is no hurt in using the 700mA BB charger on a DINC.

4. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

So to recap:

• Question: Will this ruin my phone?
    • Answer 1: Yes
    • Answer 2: No

Yay Internet forums!

Sorry, OP. I've never had a blackberry so I haven't read any of the many threads about this. But there are many threads if you want to search and read through them.

5. btorrenga

btorrenga Member

I thought the phone will only draw as many amps as it needs, i.e., 1 or 2 amps is fine?

6. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

That is correct. It could be a 10 amp charger. As long as the voltage is the same the phone will only use what it needs.

7. Kappen

Kappen Well-Known Member

As long as the amperage is greater then or equal to the amperage on the Dinc's charger your fine. A charger can be rated at 10 amps and be fine, it will only draw as many amps as the phone needs not more. E/I*R FTW.

8. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member

I say, "use it."

I found an old Samsung charger and it works great

9. Ridley

Ridley Active Member

Just a little tip...

Walmart sells a car charger that works for the Incredible for 5 dollars. (tax included) It is a steal and much better than paying 20+ at the Verizon store.

10. MalfunctioningRoboticBoy

MalfunctioningRoboticBoy Member

you have to think of volts and amps like water in a hose; the amperage is the amount of water and the voltage is the pressure of the water.

I wouldn't exceed the target voltage or amperage by .5 either direction but you'd rather have the voltage dead on and the amperage a little off than vice versa.

11. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

It does not matter how much current the charger can provide. It could be a 10A charger, as long as it is 5v then it will work. How much current is used is based on the voltage and the resistance of the load. The only time the max amperage capability of the power source matters is when your load at that voltage could exceed it. At that point you're limited by the power source.

This is basic electrical principles. Current is based off voltage and resistance. Voltage is the same 5v. Resistance is the same (without getting too technical, see below). Just because you have a 10A charger doesn't matter. The Incredible will only pull up to 1A, dependant on the charger. The only way to put more than 1A through the Incredible is to crank up the voltage.

Now, the only time the Inc's resistance changes is when it thinks it is plugged in to a USB port. USB ports are max spec'd at 500mA (1/2A). So, the Inc will shut down one parallel channel internally (doubling its regulated resistance) so that it doesn't over pull on a USB port and fry it.

12. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

I use my BB 9700 charger all of the time without any issues, that I can see or that I am aware of