• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories chargers

I was wondering if anybody knew if a blackberry charger would hurt my dinc. I hav several BB charges but I didn't knw if thy were rated the same or if it wld fry my dinc

Yes it likely will. Check the amp rating on the charger...you don't want to go over "1A" to charge the INC. Anything less than that will be fine, it will just charge slower (i.e. USB ~ 0.5A).

Upvote 0
you have to think of volts and amps like water in a hose; the amperage is the amount of water and the voltage is the pressure of the water.

I wouldn't exceed the target voltage or amperage by .5 either direction but you'd rather have the voltage dead on and the amperage a little off than vice versa.

It does not matter how much current the charger can provide. It could be a 10A charger, as long as it is 5v then it will work. How much current is used is based on the voltage and the resistance of the load. The only time the max amperage capability of the power source matters is when your load at that voltage could exceed it. At that point you're limited by the power source.

This is basic electrical principles. Current is based off voltage and resistance. Voltage is the same 5v. Resistance is the same (without getting too technical, see below). Just because you have a 10A charger doesn't matter. The Incredible will only pull up to 1A, dependant on the charger. The only way to put more than 1A through the Incredible is to crank up the voltage.

Now, the only time the Inc's resistance changes is when it thinks it is plugged in to a USB port. USB ports are max spec'd at 500mA (1/2A). So, the Inc will shut down one parallel channel internally (doubling its regulated resistance) so that it doesn't over pull on a USB port and fry it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones