Charges For Using Wi-Fi Abroad??

Last Updated:

1. Nijiiro

Nijiiro Well-Known Member

I am off to Kenya this evening and Vodafone UK have just quoted me standard non-EU data roaming charges to use the hotel's free wi-fi. I reitterated that I was planning to use wi-fi and not my contract internet, and she said I would still be charged. But I'm going to turn data roaming off. That's not right, is it? :confused:

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Agreed - that does not make sense.

Safe journeys, btw!
  3. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be able to charge you for that data because you aren't receiving it from them. That said, stranger things have happened, I am am not sure how vodaphone operates. If you can, I would just turn off all mobile data.
  4. Nijiiro

Thanks guys. Well, I turned off both data roaming and background data, and used the hotel wifi. Now awaiting my bill. I cannot see how they can possibly even know my usage, let alone charge me. But we shall soon see...
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

Safe travels!
  6. howie1701d

howie1701d New Member

Hi, I work for Vodafone, you may have recieved your bill already but to put your mind at ease, you cant be charged for using the hotels Wifi abroad, its just like using your home wifi.

Apologies for the idiot who wrongly advised you, not all customer service advisors are the same.
    Nijiiro likes this.
  7. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums!
  8. Nijiiro

Thanks all, I had a great trip. I was working with children from underprivileged areas, which is immensely rewarding!

I'm pleased to see there is no way I can be charged for using my wi-fi. I didn't think it could be right, but the advisor's insistence put a seed of doubt in my mind that maybe there could have been some development I didn't know about.
    amit_eighty8 and EarlyMon like this.