Charges very slow..

1. kwiknikk

kwiknikk Member

Hey guys I looked for a while on this because I'm sure someone else already asked it but does your droid charge super slow on every single charger besides the one it came with?

No matter which charger I use (besides the stock one) it charges incredibly slow. Hooked up to my computer, other wall chargers and the slowest one is my car charger. I even have a couple wall chargers that just straight up make my phone start doing weird stuff. Like I'm randomly hitting things on the screen.

Do different chargers have different amps sorry if this is asked once a week : /

Advertisement
  2. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

yeah i can't get into the specifics because i dont know them but different chargers are rated at different levels. if you take our stock cable and use it to charge through USB it is much slower than outlet, that's normal.

i think our droids use 850mA so you want to make sure your other chargers can put out at least that much. Also, if you are on a car dock and the droid gets too hot it isn't going to charge as fast or may even start losing charge because of heat.

GPS/Nav heats the phone up a lot and combined with direct sunlight it gets toasty quick. i'm convinced its not healthy for the phone either (opinion). i usually take my case off and try to position the droid over an air vent.
  3. kwiknikk

kwiknikk Member

Okay cool thanks for the heads up, anyone know the specifics? Like a good charger from amazon I should buy or something?
  4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Yep, the stock charger might push 1000mA (1 amp), which will charge it pretty quick. USB might push 500mA, which of course is half the power, which would take twice the time to charge (although charge speeds of lithium batteries can vary depending on the current)

So yeah, it's the output of the charging source that will affect charge times.
  5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I don't know, but I have no problem with mine.. It actually charges faster on my car charger than my home charger..
  6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Anything approaching 1A should be good. Personally, I try to stick with OEM accessories. With chargers, some of the non-OEM brands seem to interfere with the capacitive screen.

For a car charger, look for the Motorola P513/SPN5400A.