Charging / Cable / Reserve Battery QuestionsTips

1. Cowabunga

Cowabunga Member

Just got my S4 last night. A few questions for you guys.

1) Do you guys charge all the way to 100%? Do you charge overnight? I did this with my iPhone, but now I'm reading stuff about the Lithium Ion batteries preferring to not be charged to 100%, and not to charge them overnight, etc. I guess Belkin sells some plug that can stop charging after 2 hours, but I'd assume the phone is smart enough to stop itself from charging when at 100%?

2) The charging cable is just USB to microUSB correct? I'd like to order another one for my work (to charge w/ the PC) and for my car (to charge with my USB car charger). Is it USB 2.0?

3) Would anyone recommend a place for spare batteries? I see some on Samsung's website for $40 (though we get 50% off our first purchase, I believe).

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Unicorn512

Unicorn512 Well-Known Member

Yes, I charge overnight. When the phone reaches 100% it says to disconnect the charger, but nothing bad happens if you leave it plugged in.

You are correct about the USB to microUSB cable. Several vendors make them. NOt sure about USB 2.0, but I think at least that.

I always bought extra capacity batteries or spare batteries in the past, but I am considering NOT buying either one for this phone. Battery life life seems very good, and it recharges quickly. Of course, everyone uses their phone in different ways, and other threads in this forum mention battery suppliers.

I did get the desk dock from Samsung using the half off coupon you get for registering the device (be sure to do that.) Very nice and works well with the snap on gel protector I have for the phone.

I am enjoying this phone a lot, and still exploring all the things it can do.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

It is just a standard cable but the charger is 2A and my experience is that some cheap thin cables just don't seem to work well with high current chargers so buy a decent one. I saw an S3 cable on eBay recently for less than
  4. Cowabunga

Cowabunga Member

Thanks guys.
  5. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

Unlike the iPhone or HTC One, I don't worry about battery charging strategies with the removable battery in the GS4. ;)
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I agree. The removable battery may seem like a small thing but it's a big advantage to me. I have an iPhone 5 as well as an S4 and there's no doubt that the back of the iPhone looks a lot more classy than the back of the S4. However, the fixed battery in the iPhone is a major drawback and not at all worth the improved appearance.