1979w72 Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. JJWSTAR

JJWSTAR Well-Known Member

love it

cant wait for it to be available!!

3. aeronauticsrock

aeronauticsrock Active Member

yeah, do want. Think the 3.5mm sound cable can stay plugged into the dock or do you have to plug it into your phone every time?

4. JJWSTAR

JJWSTAR Well-Known Member

when will this be available? links?

5. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

car charger plugs into the dock. dock plugs into phone

3.5 mm cable is used if your car has an aux input. this is so you can play it through your car stereo

6. Flying_Hellfish

Flying_Hellfish Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to buy this. Looks like the girlfriend will be getting my TomTom. :D

7. ryanc2

ryanc2 Well-Known Member

I like the streamline look of the car dock for the original Droid better, but then again, all it did was hold the phone.

8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Anyone know if Motorola is going to be plagued by grounding issues like the HTC devices?

9. TLDspectre

TLDspectre Well-Known Member

Damn, looks like I'll need a new car with an aux input port to take full advantage of this car mount...:D

I don't suppose there's a workaround for older car stereos that don't have an auxilary input? It would be nice to see one of these in action just to see where all the connections would run.

10. Grad

Grad Well-Known Member

If you have a tape player in your car you can use a cassette adapter.

11. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

12. cvfd13

cvfd13 Well-Known Member

13. h3liumX

h3liumX Active Member

you can get a new car stereo with aux input ($70+)

or look on the back of your current stereo and see what inputs it has. there are adapters to convert most everything to a 3.5mm input ($15 maybe)

14. TLDspectre

I'm thinking the above may be the best route to go if I decide to use this particular car mount. The other suggestions essentially would add in an extra piece of hardware to accomplish through FM broadcast what this car mount already does via the 3.5mm cable. I've also read where some of these wireless FM transmitters don't produce the best quality sound. Guess I'll start by checking out my own stereo. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

15. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

16. odiej34

17. TLDspectre

Those are nice videos. Sure would be nice if they had one showing the actual physical connection(s) to the car itself...

18. odiej34

I'm hoping it is similar to the first one. I never used the suction cup mount. It was either connected to my Garmin bean bag mount (Wife's mini van) or Mounted to my dash via a brcketron mount. in the middle of the droid dock you could pop out the middle where the magnet was and it had screw/bolt holes for mounting.. Very nice.

19. TLDspectre

What about the wiring (running the 3.5mm cable to the stereo)? Does the device also draw power for recharging through this same connection?

20. odiej34

I added a cable that connects to my car stereo and plugs right into the droid.
    as for the power of the new one, at the end of the video you'll see where the power supply connects to the back of the dock. No more plugging and un plugging your X. I am going to run a dedicated power supply from my fuse box so I don't see an ugly ass cable running up my dash. This all depends on if the dock can be bolted down like the Droid dock.

21. h3liumX

h3liumX Active Member

No it has a USB port on the back of the dock to charge. I don't know if it will include a USB to cigarette lighter adapter or not, but you can buy those (I think Verizon even sells one). Or some car stereos have USB interface.

22. TLDspectre

OK, that makes sense. I really wish they would show this stuff. I understand it doesn't always paint a pretty picture by including the cables when you are trying to sell a product. Kind of like selling hi-def TVs, you never see the cables in any of the ads. :)

23. odiej34

it's a micro usb connector, same as a regular car/wall charger. I would guess that it will come with a charging cable. The Droid did not come with a charging cable but it did not have a place to plug the charging cable into the dock, just plugged right into the Droid.
    This is why I dumped the Incredible, (one of the reasons) They are still waiting for a desk top charger and a car dock.
    HTC really blew it. (In my opinion)

24. TLDspectre

Good to know, although for my purposes I would probably not use the recharger part other than for long trips. I mainly want something that looks esthetically pleasing, is easily functional and will play through my car stereo. I have a half-hour drive to/from work so the charging isn't a big deal, I want to listen to internet radio/audiobooks without needing headphones. The demo videos looked very encouraging, I just have to figure out how to get around the need for the 3.5mm input jack.

25. odiej34

Attached Files: