• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging Desire battery WITHOUT using phone

kingdave

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Manchester
Hi guys,

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any easy and cheap ways to charge an HTC Desire battery without it being inserted into the phone?

The USB point on my GFs Desire has broken and now the phone won't accept a charge. She's due an upgrade soon anyway, but wants to make sure all the necessary data like contacts, text messages, pictures etc are backed up.

Any ideas on how this can be done cheaply? I just need enough power for a couple of hours really!

Thanks

Actually I don't think that does work - I'm pretty sure the usb power connection just charges, and the phone draws all power from the battery (i.e. I'm fairly sure I tried this once to see). Nothing to lose by trying, except that it's the usb that's broken rather than the battery.

Simplest is if you know anyone else with a Desire. Otherwise there may be a desktop charger capable of doing it, but it would be buying one for a single use by the sound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones