Charging for the first time

Last Updated:

1. Shazz

Shazz Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 17, 2010
    Hi I saw this hadn't been asked specifically for the wildfire before, so I thought I'd ask...

Got the wildfire this afternoon, the lady who served me in the carphone warehouse said it would be a good idea to charge it for 10 hours on its first charge before turning it on to make the battery last as long as possible for the future.

However, reading around forums for other phones, some people suggest that you just charge it until the green light shows and it won't make a difference. Apparently the older batteries in older phones had a battery memory or something, that meant charging it longer for the first charge made a difference to the overall battery lifespan and length of use before the next charge.

Will charging my wildfire for ten hours make the battery better and more efficient in the long run, or would the extra hours charging after its fully charged/the green light appears, be a waste of time and not make a difference to the battery whatsoever?

2. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I got mine from CPW, no advice given just charged it until the green light comes on, battery life has been excellent

Shazz likes this.
  3. Jerry786

Jerry786 Active Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi, This thread really is unbelievable as i was searching google yesterday to find an answer to this myself!

I gave up searching as i couldlnt find an answer so i just did what it said in the booklet (it says it takes 3 hours for a full charge to complete) I charged it for 3 hours last night. and after i took it off charge i left it on standby all day.

The phone has been on for 20+ hours on standby and the battery....looking at it now, is at 88%.

20 hours and 12 percent battery drain...Im impressed!

I would not charge the battery until the light goes green, I did this with my previous widlfire i had and the battery depleted quickly. I used it for a bit of browsing one or two calls and the battery was below 50%.

Charging it for 10 hours would be better but if you havent got the patience I would say, Charge it for 3 hours Minimum :)
  4. Leijonberg

Leijonberg Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The older NiMH batteries were sensitive to this. The best way to maintain this battery type is to use up almost all of it's energy before charging, and then fully charge it without interruption. If you unplug halfway through charging, the chemical reaction inside the battery "remember" that.
    Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries (as in the Wildfire) is not that sensitive. Still, it's a good idea to fully charge without interruption, just in case.
    I've had phones with Li-ion battery for a couple of years, charging from time to time with interruptions, with no or little change in battery lifetime.

Hope this helps!

Also, first time charging was apparently important for NiMH batteries. Not so for Li-ion and Li-polymer.