Charging for the first time

1. smint

smint Well-Known Member

I will be getting my new Desire while at work tomorrow, how long is it b est to charge it for the first time.

I don't want to only charge it for 4 hours there when it is best to do it for 12! Also can you use it during this first charge?

Just asking as I want the best battery life and didn't know if HTC had already done the battery' first charge for you.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. JayCee

JayCee Well-Known Member

There is no best way of charging Li-ion batteries, they don't have the memory effect the old ni-cads suffered from.
    Just charge it until the phone indicates full charge.
    There's nothing to stop you using it while it's charging.
  3. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got mine on Monday. I started using it as soon as it was charging and I think it was only in there for a couple of hours, so battery time wasn't great until I had the chance to give it a proper charge.
    Now, the battery seems just fine to me. I disable WIFI and GPS when I don't need them, I think that saves a lot of battery.
  4. TedJ

TedJ Member

The battery is shipped with a 40-50% charge, as this level is best for long term storage.

My usual procedure with a new device is charge to full, then fully discharge to ensure the charging circuit is calibrated. After that feel free to top up when and where required, with a full charge/discharge cycle every month or so.
  5. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

The instructions are to charge it for three hours, and only then switch it on for the first time.

I couldn't wait and switched it on immediately - and my battery life is pretty good.