• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging monitor app

Stoney62

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
Does anyone have a battery monitor that shows statisitcs for charge rate that works on the n8013? I installed battery diary from amazon, but it doesn't show the info for the Note 10.1. I have battery HD free but it shows everything but charge rate statistics. My battery is now charging (it hasn't recently) it didn't charge over night last night while powered down; but it still discharges while hooked up to the wall charger (it hadn't done that until recently).

You can't show charge rate for a phone without cutting one of the battery wires. The best you can show is the battery terminal voltage, which has very little to do with the charge in the battery at the early and late stages of charge. Apps like that give you a false belief that you know what's happening to the battery.

The wall charger isn't an external power supply for the tablet, it's a battery charger. It can't supply enough current to both charge the battery and run the tablet. So all you're accomplishing by charging with the tablet on is discharging more slowly. (Net current is still OUT OF the battery, just not as much as with the charger disconnected.)

Upvote 0
You can't show charge rate for a phone without cutting one of the battery wires. The best you can show is the battery terminal voltage, which has very little to do with the charge in the battery at the early and late stages of charge. Apps like that give you a false belief that you know what's happening to the battery.

The wall charger isn't an external power supply for the tablet, it's a battery charger. It can't supply enough current to both charge the battery and run the tablet. So all you're accomplishing by charging with the tablet on is discharging more slowly. (Net current is still OUT OF the battery, just not as much as with the charger disconnected.)

I'm sorry, but that doesn't pass the logic test or my experience over the last 24 hrs. I left the charge cable connected last night with the power turned off. The charge level was 9% immediately before turning off the tablet. It was still 9% when I powered it back on this morning. It steadily charged from then on except when I was actually using it when in fact there was a net discharge. Then when I periodically woke it up to check email etc. If Discharged a percent or two. But then, leaving it alone, it charged back up to 100% , where it still is after 30 minutes of the screen on. Before two days ago, evening using the tablet for long periods of time, it would actually have a net charge. I can't explain why, but that seems to be a fact. Years ago, I had an app that showed the net charge rate in mA even while the phone was in use. Granted that was a windows os phone. Pre Android.

Update: I've now had my tablet on including screen on for about 3.5 hrs continuously while on the charger and is still at 100%. I wonder if discharging it down to 9% had anything to do with it acting like it did before?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones