Charging off less than 1000mA?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. enigma_0Z

enigma_0Z Member This Topic's Starter

Some chargers are 1000mA, some are 500, some are 700, Oi! it's very confusing...

Anyway, does anyone know if there's a problem charging the phone at a rating that's lower than the OEM-supplied charger? I know there's possibly a problem charging the phone at a higher-than rating, and if you're using the phone heavily and you're underpowering it, it may slowly discharge even though it's plugged in, but those to points aside, does it matter?

I'm using an Evo, and I suspect that does matter, at least a little bit. The OEM HTC charger (as well as Apple iPod) supplies 1000mA (1 amp) of power over USB, I'm looking at some car chargers rated at 700mA...

Advertisement
  2. mobilemaniac

mobilemaniac Well-Known Member

You've got it backwards. Higher current rating is OK. Lower can cause problems. The phone determines the current draw, not the charger. The rating on the charger is the max current it will allow.

3. enigma_0Z

enigma_0Z Member This Topic's Starter

So what your saying is if the charger is rated at 500mA (eg. Griffin Powerjolt Dual, the current one I'm looking at), it'll burn up the charger because the phone is trying to draw more current?

Then why doesn't it burn up computer USB ports which ONLY supply 500mA (afaik, not sure)? Remember, the stock charger is 1000mA

4. mobilemaniac

mobilemaniac Well-Known Member

No. The charger will only supply 500 mA (so it won't burn up). This may or may not be enough to charge the phone depending on how much current it needs at the time of charging (depends on what you are doing and how low the battery level is). Your best bet is to get a charger rated 1A or larger. This will allow faster charging and charging while using the phone heavily. However, 500 mA might be enough. I don't know for sure.

5. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

If you're using your phone heavily 500mA might not be able to keep up with the drain your phone is taking. Try plugging into a USB and doing some battery intensive activity on the phone and see if it can keep up the charge.