Charging paused - voltage too high!!! [SOLVED]Support

1. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Hi guys,

So i have a s2, The fault is sometimes it will charge ok other times when you unplug the charger it will carry on charging. It was on gingerbread.

Now i installed stock ICS on it and it does the above still BUT i always get a message - charging paused - voltage too high.

So i done heaps of research on this very forum and found different things to try, Below is a list of all the things ive tried so far........
    1. software flash (original)
    2. clean charging port and battery pins
    3. Move the pin in the charging port away from the sides
    4. Replace the charging port board completely
    5. calibrate battery (by app and manually)
    6. Tried rooting the s2
    7. Installed VK ROM (23.06.12)

SOLVED

Advertisement
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

3. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Hi, yes i did that is why i joined on these forums. Ive tried all solutions on that thread + more. The last solution indicating to clean charging port doesnt effect me as ive just fitted a brand new port!.
  4. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

I have just rooted my S2 for the first time and the problem has gone away. I wont keep my hopes up, i will wait a few days and see how it goes. If the problem comes back my next step is a custom rom.
  5. n7plus1

n7plus1 Well-Known Member

please check back and post your experience.
  6. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

What i did was, reset to factory settings and then root the S2. Unfortunately the error message i initially experienced has returned.

The only difference is when i remove the charger, the phone stops charging as it should. But when the battery drains down i get the message voltage too high.

I cant say if its hardware or software related or BOTH....yet. But i wont drop it till i find out exactly whats causing it. I will try a custom rom tonight and see how that goes.
  7. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

I've installed VK rom and ive calibrated the battery. I let the battery run down to 12% and then charged back up, completed that step again.

Its been 17 hours (longest ever) without the problem returning. When i charge it, it charges, when i disconnect the charger it stops charging. I get no voltage too high messages SO FAR.

Im not getting my hopes up YET. But its looking good. So if it fixes the issue i still cannot tell if it was a hardware or software issue or BOTH. But those want to try fix there phone you can follow my steps.
  8. n7plus1

mine was like that too up until it now doesnt turn on. been dead for almost a week now. waiting on a new charging usb port. hopefully when i replace that itll turn back on.
  9. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Just an update to say the problem still has not returned!!!

Should i consider myself lucky?
    should i expect it to come back?
    Could the new rom be 'hiding' the voltage too high message?

Either way the charging also works as it should. It has never been working perfect for this long before.
  10. n7plus1

interesting...good to hear your problem went away. im starting to question whether or not the usb connector port will actually prevent the phone from turning on if its bad.
  11. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

They are so cheap so in your case its worth a try isnt it. Do post and tell what happened as i am interested in your case too.
  12. bgmnt

bgmnt New Member

Even I am facing the same problem since the recent ICS update. its so irritating.. Kindly can someone fix this....plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  13. n7plus1

ill be sure to.:)
  14. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Been almost a week and 4 or 5 fully charge cycles.

Problem SOLVED.
  15. bgmnt

bgmnt New Member

Great. How did you manage to solve. Recently I tried flashing with Official Stock ROM, but still no use. I still see the annoying message "Charging paused...Voltage too high", and the battery continuously flashes, and it shows it is still charging even when the charger is disconnected... It would be great if we can know, how did you manage to get it solved..

cheers
  16. n7plus1

sounds like you both need to have the USB connector port replaced. sounds like you have a fluke with teh new rom...the problem will probably come back.
  17. n7plus1

received my new usb connector port this weekend and installed it...still nothing...
  18. mystvearn

mystvearn Well-Known Member

I also have the same problem since yesterday. I am on stock software and have never flashed before.

How do you do no.
    2. and 3?
  19. andyroo77

andyroo77 New Member

I have this problem too on Galaxy S2 running ice cream sandwich on T-Mobile UK. Very annoying message and beep.

Was running ice-cream sandwich happily for a couple weeks. Started the day I had to jump out the shower and take an important call with wet hands. I suspect a sensor inside detects moisture and causes this error message so you send it for repair and are told warranty etc invalid due to water damage. Phone works fine otherwise. I did have the phantom car mode issue, also annoying but related to the charge port being grubby or something. This one drives you up the wall. Will have to root and see.

To the original poster who 'solved' by rooting and installing custom ROM, could you install stock ics and unroot and report if still getting the error? Big ask I know.
  20. mystvearn

mystvearn Well-Known Member

My problem suddenly disappeared after two days. No idea why it occurs though, did not do anything.
  21. bluejava2

bluejava2 Member

For me, changing chargers did the trick. I bought a Samsung OEM micro USB charger and haven't seen that "voltage too high" message for 3 days now. I am rooted and on ICS 4.0.3.
  22. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Get a tooth brush and gently brush the contacts, And as for #3 - get any thin object (flat end screw driver..ect with phone off) or any plastic object with the phone on and gently bend the charging pin inside the charging port of the phone ( at your own risk ).

Mine used to disappear and come back, it gets your hopes up but then your hopes get hit again when the message appears. Chances are your error message will come back.

I also tried changing chargers, Didnt solve for me.

To sum up my issues, i originally had gingerbread, i updated to ICS (without root) using kies, and after 1 day i got the message come back. It made me ROOT my S2 and put the custom rom on. Solved now after how many days... 1 or 2 weeks!. Certainly looks like it wont come back.
  23. j4g3d

j4g3d Member

Unlucky, i guess there is no other option for you...

Mine going strong, approaching 3 weeks now.

Advice to all is, we all might be getting this 'voltage too high' message for various DIFFERENT reasons. The best advice i can give you all is try the free methods first then the least expensive to the most expensive.

I think its a combination of a hardware and software fault personally. If you buy a USB port board, replace it then reload the software pref by rooting. Then calibrate the battery.
  24. MREMERSON

MREMERSON New Member

my phone fell out of my pocket on to the sidewalk in the middle of a heavy rain storm. Someone found it minutes later and brought it inside to the restraunt i was eating at and found me. Miracle! I let the phone dry over night with everything unplugged and a fan on it. Turned it on in the morning. Everything worked fine. However i did start getting that "charging paused message- voltage too high"

after i cleaned the charging port. There was a bunch of lint and junk in there, and after that...no more message no problems!!

hopefully it stays that way? FingerS crossed.....
  25. motownwill

motownwill Active Member

I've had it with Samsung. First all the firmware update refusals with the original Galaxy and AT&T, now this nonsense? Time for HTC maybe.