• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging paused - voltage too high!!! [SOLVED]

Hi peoples. New to the forum and having the same issue. Only thing its a little different.
I havent recently updated the phone but this problem started after a friend borrowed my phoneto charger his battery, because his phone wasnt accepting the usb charger.
Im unsure if the problem is with the usb and lint. As mine is clean but still getting the message.
Ive got a battery app installed (battery wigdet pro by jh jeong) that shows that the current voltage flucuates between 3.6volt up to 4.067 when the messages are occuring.
Im currently running a flashed rom with 4.0.3 running.
Hope this help someone smarter than i work this out. Dont really like the idea of having a 600 dollar paper weight. If you want anymore info. Sing out. Cheers

Upvote 0
So today i had a look through the app i mentioned before at what the charging voltage was. 4.107 volts.

I then unplugged the phone from the wall charger and watched the voltage.
it didnt drop at all. this is when the messages of too high voltage started.

Restarting the phone then resulted in a dropped voltage to 3.98 volts, and after reading the newspaper over a morning coffee the voltage has dropped further to 3.905.

The message has not returned since restarting the phone.

is this helping anybody?

Upvote 0
Thanks to select comments on this thread, I was able to solve the problem.

My phone was in my pocket when I breifly wading into a lake and some waves soaked the bottom parts of my pockets - so the bottom part of the phone probably got damp. I was getting the beeping and message about every two or three minutes, but not while the unit was charging.

The phone returned to normal immediately after I slightly bent the prong away from the nearest part of the casing surrounding it. (I am referring to the small, flat prong that is in the phone's recharging port and that the USB fits around when inserted into the device for charging.)

It all makes sense. Perhaps the brief exposure to water causes an electrical connection on this prong to add a layer of corrosion that started a short circuit - using the phone's battery power to feed back into the recharger port, making the phone thinking that it is being recharged and that the current is stronger than what the USB should be providing. When the USB is inserted, the cable interrupts the electrical short that occurs when it is not inserted. ...So it all makes sense as to why and as to how to resolve it. Of course, as someone earlier stated, there are probably multiple reasons causing this problem, but this might be the most common cause and it certainly is an easy and free fix.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy S II and I was getting this message until today. Stopped by the local Sprint store and the service tech told me the fix is an Software upgrade. He did it but it's got to be done while hooked up to a computer. It's not getting pushed. I'm now running Android Ver 4.1.2 Kernel 3.0.31-1014481. The problem , for my phone anyway, has gone away.

Upvote 0
Yesterday this problem started with my Galaxy S2 Epic Touch white, and it's happening whether the phone is on or off, and whether it's connected to the charger or not. The fix I've found is to replace the battery. Go to Batteries Plus and buy a new one, problem solved.

I tried all the stuff on the forum here, cleaning, cycling, bending (ugh!), and nothing worked. When I realized that the symptom happens regardless of condition of plugged in or not and of turned on or off, I figured it had to be hardware, and the best explanation is the battery itself. Changing software just ignores the problem, and swapping other hardware doesn't fix it.

These tiny batteries have microscopic little membranes that separate the chemical components that move electrons back and forth, aka "charge". Over time, these membranes wear out, the chemicals mix or degrade, and wattage flows more (or less) liberally. The error message is probably correct, the voltage coming off the battery probably *is* too high.

Just my two cents - new battery, problem gone.

Upvote 0
Ugh, so, that's a real nice-sounding theory that I proffered, but guess what? I was totally wrong. So I can't really tell if there is an issue with the charging system or just the monitoring system. It seems like I can go from too little charge to power on to 100% in about 90 minutes?? No way, but all the same, I'm still getting the stupid popup about charging paused. So I think I'll resume where I left off in the original solution. Ah well, I'm off to root!

Upvote 0
This weekend I took my phone apart, to the point that I removed the ICB - snap off the back, take out the 6 screws, wrestle with the tabs, unscrew 2 screws and disconnect the ribbons, lift the board out. From there I was able to properly clean the charging port with swabs, alcohol, sunlight, one eye closed, and some patience. After I was sure I'd removed all the gunk and dried everything out, I put the phone back together enough to put in the battery and, voila, no charging problems! :smokingsomb: I also took the liberty of cleaning out everything else, yuk! The moral of the story is you can't solve a hardware problem with software, and throwing the wrong hardware at it is a waste of time.

Upvote 0
get in there with a needle and have a good Ol' wiggle around, carefully.

remove battery first. use needle to remove ridiculous amounts of fluff from the port. also bend the centre contact back into centre.

Sorted and i'm on ICS so although changing to different version may help remove error messages, this fixed the root of the problem for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones