• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help charging problem

markyb

Lurker
May 25, 2010
hi
new member. and new to android
didnt want to start here with a problem, but unfortunately that's what i got.
had my galaxy portal now for about 3 days, and tonight its not charging anymore
nothing with the usb and pc lead and nothing with the mains lead
ive had problems earlier today with kies software keep crashing (win 7) and pc was saying usb device not recognised. (although some times it did recognise it)
so now i cant charge. but even on a full batt im only getting about 10 hrs before batt dead, and thats only playing with apps, and not making any call or texts.
anything i can try before i take it back to the shop

right i think ive bricked it now
thought i would do the hard reset to see if it helped, and so that it would be clean when i took it back to shop
i did the *2767*3855# reset (took sim out first ) phone came up with hard reset message then shut down and restarted. now i got black screen with samsung in the middle and nothing else, take batt out and reinsert. i get status bar that goes half way accross screen and then. nothing
help have i bricked it

Upvote 0
left it running till the battery finaly packed in. but no joy,.
i called into the 3 store and they swapped it no problem.
so i was very grateful for that.
thanks for the reply
oh one other thing, can i use the portal to read pdf documents? and if so were do i put the documents
Anywhere On the SD card.

Install an App called EStrongs File Explorer.

See Estongs File Explorer

Upvote 0
markyb,

I have also bought a galaxy portal on 3 very recently and I am getting about 12 hours of standby time with all the features such as wifi, bluetooth, GPS and autosyncing turned off. Now that you have exchanged your phone, what sort of battery life are you getting? I would be very keen to know, as I will be heading back to the 3 store if the phone is this unusable.

Cheers,

timsarmchair

Upvote 0
got mine from a three store on friday as an upgrade...... i am taking it back tomorrow. charges 100 % then drops to 80% when unplugged. 1/2 an hour later its 70%. the settings for about this phone dont even show the correct phone number. The seal was broken on the box but the shop said they open them all cause they have had some European mains plug..... but i wonder. call tec support and they were helpful !!!! so they must be use to problems on this model...... will let them change it in-store tomorrow but if thats crap i will just cancel my new contract and see out my old contact....

on a good note 1st android phone and its os rocks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones