Charging Question

Last Updated:

1. slballard

slballard Active Member This Topic's Starter

When the Hero is plugged in and unlocked, the backlight will stay on until the phone is manually locked. Sometimes I fall asleep with the phone unlocked and I wake up in the morning and the backlight has been on all night. I have searched through all of the settings and I can't seem to find any backlight settings for when it is charging. Can anyone help me out? Also, I have been reading through the forums and I have heard about the trackball flashing for a notification. Mine doesn't do that, but is there a way to turn that on?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
  2. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'll deal with the flashing trackball first, do the following to enable this feature:

1. Press Menu and select settings
    2. Go to Sound & display
    3. Scroll to the bottom and select Notification Flash
    4. Select what you want the trackball to flash for.

As for the screen not turning off can't explain that, my phone times out when charging so I would try setting the time again to do this follow step 1 and 2 above and then go to screen timeout and select a different time and then select your preferred time.

If you are still having issues I would check to see if you have the latest firmware for the phone, you can obtain it from HTC's website.

3. _ivo_

_ivo_ Active Member

Hi, sorry to mix in this topic, but I have one charging question as well... :D

Is it possible (on Hero) to turn off USB charging? Because I'm connecting it often on my laptop, specially now when is new, and I'm pretty sure this is not very good for battery life... :eek:

Regards,
    Ivo

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Your fears are unfounded, Ivo. Li-ion batteries have on-board circuitry to regulate charging, so it's perfectly safe.

5. slballard

I did exactly what you said and all it says is flash for notifications and it lists like SMS and email and what not. I see nothing about a track ball.

6. slballard

And when I go to screen timeout settings, all it has settings for is when it isn't charging. Do I get the new firmware off of the computer, or on my Hero's browser???

7. Heroine

Heroine Well-Known Member

Hi, when u are in Notification flash that is the trackball settings (says "flash trackball for notifications" at very top of that screen. Press the white boxes to tick everything u want the trackball to flash for.
    Hope that helps.

8. slballard

My notification settings does not have that option at the top of the screen.

9. slballard

I have looked checked on my phones settings and according to my Hero, the firmware is up to date yet I don't have trackball notifications and my phone still won't turn off while its charging unless I manually do it... Does anyone have any other suggestions?

10. Heroine

Heroine Well-Known Member

It's not an option, just the heading in small txt on top of that "page". Press and hold the corresponding white boxes to activate the trackball flash for those u want.

Re the backlight, I don't have that problem either. My "disable auto backlight" is unchecked and when phone is charging it's off.

11. memphis9489

memphis9489 Well-Known Member

On my HTC Hero (Sprint), at the top of the screen it does not say anything about a "trackball." It says: "Flash for notifications"

12. slballard

I figured out the charging problem. Go to settings-applications-development-then untick the never sleep while charging box.

13. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

Perhaps there is a difference between the Sprint Hero and the (European) HTC Hero.

Because on mine there is quite clearly a trackball flash option.