• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging Speed on popular chargers

Jdub412

Nov 23, 2012
I don't know exactly how to interpret this info, but I tested several chargers with my Galaxy S5 using the Galaxy Charging Current App. I have no idea if this app is accurate, but here is what I found:

The app indicated 1800ma Max and 1200ma Average for:
- Samsung OEM Wall Charger
- Himbox Car Charger (2ma port)
- Anker PowerIQ Rapid USB Car Charger

It read slightly lower values for an old iGo Universal Car Charger with a mini USB attachment (IIRC, 1100ma Average).

Does this mean that charging speed is largely limited by the GS5, not the power supply? In other words, are all the modern / moderate-to-high-end power supplies essentially the same as far as charging speed?

I know ma (current) is not the only important variable; amperage x volts = watts. Both the Anker and Himbox state they put out 5v, and the Samsung states 5.3v.

1.2a x 5v = 6w for the Himbox and Anker.
1.2a x 5.3v = 7.2w for the OEM Samsung.

So this indicates the OEM Samsung wall charger ought to be the fastest, and the Anker and Himbox ought to take about the same amount of time - somewhat longer than the wall charger. Right? If so, I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Anker.

Reactions: Scottie Johnson

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones