Charging the Droid with 3rd party chargers - Screen wierdness

Last Updated:

1. mooshu47

mooshu47 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed some odd behavior when using a wall charger for an Amazon Kindle 2. The moment I plug in the charger it's as if there are fifty phantom fingers touching the screen repeatedly. I've heard others report similar behavior with various other non-moto chargers.

FYI, the Kindle charger charges the Droid just fine, as does my Blackberry charger that I use at work. I just plug them in and immediately turn the screen off. I've been using those for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any ill effects as long as I turn the screen off immediately after plugging in the charger.

At first I thought that any standard USB micro charger with the proper voltage should work without any issues. That is obviously not the case, but it leaves me wondering what causes the odd screen behavior. Are some chargers just not shielded properly? Is it EM interference activating the touchscreen? Or is the moto charger just special somehow? Maybe some EE type out there can figure out or explain what the deal is with this.

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Hmm. I don't know exactly what causes it, but I probably wouldn't continue using it. I'm no electrician or engineer, but just because the voltage is the same doesn't necessarily mean that all other specs on the cable are the same. It could damage the device.