Charging TimeSupport

1. Sycobob

Sycobob Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticing this phone takes forever to charge? A complete <5% - 100% charge takes almost 3 hours. It's crazy. My MoPho charged in less than an hour. I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with my phone. It's a 1 Amp adaptor, so ideally it would take 1.8 hours to charge the 1800 mAh battery, plus a bit for actually powering the phone.

What do you all think? Does yours take this long to charge or should I have it looked at?

Advertisement
  2. bencurt24

bencurt24 Well-Known Member

From what i've been hearing that is quite normal.... that display takes a lot of juice to power it.....
  3. Sycobob

Well the screen is off when charging.

On a related note, I wonder if I could get away with using a higher rated adapter to pump a little more juice into. Not something I can just try though, I'd have to find some specs for what's safe.
  4. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Well-Known Member

I'm using a run of the mill spare charger just because the one that came with the phone has wayyyyy too short of a cord. I don't think they're 100% the same, but the charging time is very close. Around 3 hours, as you say.
  5. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

Samsung smartphones are notorious for being slow charging. Their galaxy s2 phones charge are a max rate of 650 ma. I got a feeling that the Epic Touch charges about the same rate. It's not like your old Photon or Evo where you can throw it in a charger for half an hour and it will last you the rest of the night out. My Nexus takes forever to charge too. Just search for charging in the Galaxy S2 forum.
  6. thunder18

thunder18 Well-Known Member

I just don't think 3 hours to full is a big deal. It's definitely a higher capacity battery than my OG Evo. Both chargers can push 1.0 amp at 5 volts. All things being equal, the Epic should take longer to charge because it's got an 1800 mAh battery vs. the 1500 mAh battery in the Evo 4G. For it to charge quicker would indicate to me the battery is compromised in some way and not charging to full capacity.
  7. tenyc424

tenyc424 Well-Known Member

Just wondering when I first got the phone it charged to 100 percent but now it just stops at 99. Is this normal?
  8. Sycobob

3 hours to fill means it's only charging at 600 mA. Why even bother giving us a 1 A charger if it's going to charge that slow? it's not that it's a huge deal, but having to keep my phone on the charger 12% of the time is pretty annoying.

@tenyc424, Mine charges to 100%. Maybe it's just not reading right.
  9. DataHawg

DataHawg Member

The bigger battery definitely takes longer to charge. The slower charging rate should also make your battery last longer. Charging at higher rates is hard on them.
  10. unplugged1

unplugged1 Well-Known Member

Yes. Higher amps and quicker charges equal hotter temps. High temperature is a battery killer.