Charging while USB keyboard/ mouse is connected??General

1. patrol

patrol Member

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to charge the Nexus while having a keyboard/ mouse/ game controller connected via an OTG cable & usb hub/ splitter cable?
    If I connect a male/male USB cable between the Nexus charger and the USB hub, will this charge it, or will it damage any of the items connected?
    My understanding is that all the items are connected in parallel, and so my theory should work. Then again, I'm not 100% about computer things.
    Thanks.:)

Advertisement
    :
  2. patrol

patrol Member

3. reverendkjr

reverendkjr Member

Sorry, that is not possible with any cable configuration. Trust me, I've been trying to find a way!
  4. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

I think once you connect the on the go cable it outputs power instead of charging so it can't work. The best you can do would be to run a powered hub so that you do not load down the n7.
  5. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Well-Known Member

I think its physically impossible even if you used a y connector (or hub). The device can only use the Port for one thing at a time aka charging or using a external device. There would have to be some kinda switch on the port to allow it to go back and forth. Then it would still not really work.
  6. JanComputerman

my understanding is that there is a connection on the micro usb port connector that makes it the host adapter cable and if you could get that to turn on and off it would switch modes.
  7. patrol

patrol Member

Damn. So you can't really be gaming for hours on end with a wired controller without having to stop and recharge the battery.:(
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Get the dock that uses the pogo pins so it will charge through that (and stand at a nice view-able angle) and connect the rest through the microusb.
  9. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

That looks like the only viable option to date.
  10. Daz71

Daz71 Active Member

Is such a dock out there yet? Such a dock would possibly already have charging and USB connectivity built in else it wouldn't bee of much use.
  11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

Not sure if it is out yet, but I have seen photos. It charges through the metal dots on the side of the N7 so its usb port is free for the other accessories. I'll try and dig up some info on it and will post back.:)
  12. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The cover looks OK but doesn't seem to fold as a stand.

For sure this dock looks the best option for USB OTG gaming and typing provided what you wish to do/play is in landscape.
  13. JanComputerman

looks great but I bet you could just flip it to portrait orientation and it would stay connected to it, maybe with a piece of Tape!
  14. The Korben Dallas

The Korben Dallas Well-Known Member

duct tape!
  15. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

Says expected release August 24
  16. patrol

patrol Member

Looks good. I want one.

Another question I've been meaning to ask. I'll be using my Nexus as a GPS. Does anyone know of a good heavy duty car windscreen mount for them? It's mainly for offroad driving, so I need one that mounts really securely. Also I'd prefer one that has supports on the base/ sides/ front to hold the Nexus, not one of those cheap squeaze type clamping mounts.
  17. JanComputerman

Sound like you should slide it into a big slot in the dash or maybe even have it flat so the compass works!
  18. realdeco

realdeco New Member

Use ps3 contoller (bluetooth) for gaming while nexus is charging
  19. patrol

patrol Member

From what I've read, you need to use a dongle for the controller to work which will take up the usb port anyway.