Charging while using?Support

Last Updated:

1. maniacman54

maniacman54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anybody else experienced when charging the phone with a non-motorola charger (got it from ebay for like $5), you really can't operate the phone. I then used it with the charger that came with the phone and everything is fine. Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Motorola is notorious for using custom pinouts on their chargers. I had an old E815 and Razr that would only charge with official Moto chargers.

3. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

they also state that this will happen on the motorola website. and they added that it may even take longer for the phone to charge if it isn't an official moto charger.

4. jfint

jfint Well-Known Member

Can't be a custom pinout, because it s a USB port. I would assume that the moto charger is just putting out more juice than USB spec, which allows it to both charge faster, and charge while being used. Your after-market charger is probably only putting out the current of your computer port.

5. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

6. jfint

jfint Well-Known Member

That article is not describing a custom pinout, thankfully, it is a slightly unorthodox use of pins in order to place the phone in charging mode. Apparently the battery has a smart circuit that needs a little nudge to get charging. Not uncommon for lithium. Interesting bastardization of the USB spec.