Charging with screen on - charges Evo better?

Last Updated:

1. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I know. We're all sick of these battery threads. But I just came across something I wanted to share with you all.

Before I continue: I don't use any task killers. And I've read every battery trick thread on here and on XDA, so I've done it all. The CDMA fix. Rooting and using OCWidget. Charging it to 100%, turning it off, and then cycling the charge with the phone in the off state. And of course, disabling every data hungry app plus setting screen brightness to 50%. This is my 3rd Android phone, so it's definitely not my first rodeo.

So last night I was using my Evo as it was on the charger. I was browsing the web, and checking out some new apps in the market, so the screen was on for quite a while. I took my Evo off the charger, did some heavy texting, some browsing, Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc, and about 5 hours later I was at 80%. I then put it on the charger, and went to bed.

Fast forward to this morning: Took it off the charger, sent a few texts, and I'm down to 95% within minutes. Of course this frustrated me, since last night I went an hour before it even dropped to 99%. It'll be getting some heavy use today, so the last thing I want to do is leave the house with my battery in the 80% range. I put it back on the charger, and resumed normal usage. Some texting, Facebook, Movies app, Netflix app. Eventually the charging light goes green again. Took it off the charger an hour ago, did some texting, stayed connected to WiFi,and I'm still at 100%. Whereas earlier this morning it dropped 5% in minutes under the same use.

Scratched my head for a second, and remembered that my phone was on and in use while charging last time, before I took it off and got great battery life.

So now, I've set it so my Evo's screen stays on while charging. I also use the Power Control widget to increase the screen brightness to 100% while charging. And then once it's off the charger, just drop it to 50%.

To keep the phone awake while charging:
    Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> And then tap the check box next to 'Stay awake'.

Not saying this is guaranteed to work, and I have no rational explanation as to how this works, but it's definitely helping me. I'm going to do some testing and report back on a few things.

Advertisement
  2. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

Lots of people have reported that the battery is not syncing with the phone correctly, resulting in the first 10% of the battery to drop very rapidly.

After that 10% drops, it levels out very well.

3. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm definitely aware of that. But what I'm saying is, the first 10% doesn't drop in minutes when I charge this way. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to even drop 1% under casual use.