Charging your Hero Overnight?Support

Last Updated:

1. Herotech

Herotech Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since I've had my Hero, I've had a dillema. I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not its okay for the battery to charge the phone overnight. I have my doubts, but does anybody know for sure?

Advertisement
  2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

Have Had my hero for over a year....got it one day before its official release.
    Have charged it over night, ever day.....have had no issues....battery is fine.

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Same here

4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I like to take my Sprint HTC Hero off of the charger fairly soon after it is finished charging due the additional heat generated by the charging process. However, that being said, I often charge it overnight and obviously that will mean a longer time sitting on the charger.

My method is simple: If I charge during the day, I remove it from the charger soon after the LED turns green. If I charge at overnight, I remove it from the charger first thing in the morning. I have seen no ill effects by following this method.

5. jxr94

jxr94 Well-Known Member

I just charge the phone when it needs to be charged. If that means overnight then so be it.

6. jetjock46

jetjock46 Active Member

Don't worry, charge it overnight. I bet most people do that with no ill effects, as I have.

7. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

Keeping a phone plugged in has no ill effects. In every phones instructions it states that its recremended to keep a phone plugged in when not in use.

8. K4KAI

K4KAI Well-Known Member

9. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I must be in a time warp...or YOU are. LOL The Sprint Hero was released in October 2009, so I'm not sure how anyone could have it for OVER a year at this point.. This still being August....:p

10. MammonLord

MammonLord Active Member

I wondered about this so I connected a temperature monitor to my phone and left it to charge. The battery got to about 37 degrees celcius while charging, but then as soon as the light turned green the temperature started to drop off.

The HTC charger that came with your phone is smart and can be left connected indefinitely.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH OTHER CHARGERS. I tried the same test with two different car chargers and the battery kept getting warmer and warmer while the phone was plugged in. Heat is the single most damaging environment for a lithium-ion battery, so always unplug your phone when done charging from anything but the official HTC charger.

11. LBPHeretic

The charging process does increase the heat of the battery quite dramatically. Heat is the natural enemy of a battery's longevity, but obviously you have to charge the battery some how.

When the battery of my Sprint HTC Hero has finished charging the temperature does drop, but it always remains a few degrees warmer when left plugged in than if I leave it unplugged. That is why I always try to unplug it as soon as it is finished charging or first thing in the morning after an overnight charge.

12. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

considering my phone gets charged every night, either connected to my computer or to the wall. It also is usually plugged in at work, either to my computer there or the wall, and I've had no problems with heat or it even getting warm. In fact, there's been a few instances when I've left it plugged in an entire weekend, and no problems at all.

The phone will stop drawing power into the battery and cycle it back out when the battery is charged. That's how things with rechargeable batteries work

13. LBPHeretic

I am not saying that one will definitely have problems if they leave their Sprint HTC Hero, or any device really, plugged in for extended periods of time. I am just stating my experiences and how I handle most of the consumer electronics that I plug in to recharge.

As I said above, and I have tested this with a friend's smartphone too, if you leave your handset connected to the charger, even after it is finished charging, there will still be a slight bit of energy going into the device to maintain that 100% charge. Thus, the battery will remain a bit warmer than if you were to unplug it immediately. I am not saying this will dramatically reduce your battery's overall lifespan. I am just reiterating that anything that I can do to reduce the amount of heat that my handset's battery is exposed to, I will do.

14. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

if the screen is off and you're charging the phone, it stays fairly cool. once it finishes charging, it draws little current and gets even cooler.

i've hit 'overheat' status on my phone many times (charging + GPS use or charging + tethering) and still, the battery is just fine. heat is never good for electronics, but you bought the phone to use it, so don't worry too much about the little things. =)