Charging

Last Updated:

1. benna12

benna12 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Seeing as though this phone uses a lot of juice during the day, how are people typically going about charging it?

Do most people just keep their settings as they are and possible charge during the day or while in the car? Will charging the phone a couple times a day damage the battery at all?

If I know I am going to be out for a while, I will change some of the powersucking settings, it also seems like a good idea to charge before you head out for the night as well....

Seeing as though the phone does not turn off when charging, I will be charging it at night in silent mode, but does leaving it plugged in after the charge reaches 100% do any harm to the battery and/or phone?

Advertisement
  2. uberjeff

uberjeff Active Member

Charging the battery a couple of times a day won't damage it per say, but it will reduce the effective life of the battery. Each time a lithium ion battery is charged, full or partial is a charge cycle. The batteries are rated for 300-400 charge cycles. The more you charge, the faster you will wear it out.

3. benna12

I guess charging it when you need to is a necessity though, I am not one to charge it at say 80% or something like that, but I would when it gets below 50% or so, especially if I am going to be away from home for a few hours.

I think I will just do something like this and when the battery stops holding a charge, buy a new one. The $40 or $50 a new battery costs is worth it to get full enjoyment of the phone each day.

I was more worried about putting it on the charger at night and falling asleep and having the phone/battery get damaged from it being plugged in for a few hours after it hits 100%

4. uberjeff

uberjeff Active Member

I think you are on the right track. Just avoid topping it off when it is 90% charged and you will be in much better shape in the long run.

5. benna12

cool, thanks man, I figured it was pretty safe to do it this way, it ismy first smartphone and my prior phone could go for days without a charge, so it was a shock when I got it on Friday, used it for a few hours and had the charge down to 30%.

Just buying a new battery seems like the way to go to fully enjoy the phone....

6. Mitch R.

Mitch R. Well-Known Member

It's better to do a partial rather than a full discharge with Li-Ion cells. I try to charge mine when they hit 40 - 50%, but that's not always possible.