Chat style messaging?Support

Last Updated:

1. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was comparing the Moment with the Intercept (for my daughter) and wondered whether the Moment had chat style messaging or not. I see the Intercept does, but the Moment seemed like a nicer phone (better screen, more responsive). I know the Moment is EOL, but for my daughter's purposes I'm not worried about this. If it doesn't do chat style texting, is there an app/widget that allows this on the Moment?

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Avoid the Moment. Trust me on this.

3. kristv

LOL! Is it really that bad? For every person who seems to hate this phone, I find a person who loves it. Remember, I'm looking at this phone for a teenager (who will never use it to it's full potential). Is the Intercept the better way to go? I'm not interested in shelling out $250 for an Epic for her. She's way too hard on her phones and will likely end up destroying it. :/

4. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member

Yes, it has chat style texting, and there is nothing wrong with the phone.
    The only issues the phone has in it's stock form is battery life, which is easily fixed if you root the phone.
    I average about 20-24 hrs with heavy use on a single charge now that I did a simple root.
    Most people who have a problem with the phone screw it up by trying too many mods.
    Keep it Simple and it will be fine....
    The Intercept is not as good of a phone, it is a downgrade from the Moment.

5. jasonamd

jasonamd Well-Known Member

There are issues with the phone where voice and data services stop working at times and the only way to fix it is a reboot...but if you don't use wifi or reboot the phone after using wifi you'll probably never see the issue. I don't use wifi and the last time my phone had to be restarted was almost 2 months ago. I use it heavily for calls, text and internet and usually get 12 to 15 hours out of the battery running the stock sprint software.

6. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

There are better choices for power users (Evo, Epic) but if it's between the Moment and Intercept, go with the Moment. I still wouldn't get this phone at this point unless it were almost free with contract. Beside the default messaging app, there's Handcent sms and Chomp sms. Both will do what you want and whole lot more and both are free from the market.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

For a non-power user, I'd go intercept. No data/phone lockup is key here.

8. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

I have a Moment and my gf has the Intercept. Both phones are good in my opinion and operationally are the same (OS and hardware wise). Both are sturdily built with the only major difference being screen size. For a teenager who is more concerned with texting, calls and casual browsing (not stereotyping, just saying MOST teenagers wouldn't be considered power users) i would say get whichever is cheaper for you. If on the off chance you daughter is a power user the Moment is the obvious choice just beware the data lock issue, you may be looking at mulitiple phone swaps to find one that isn't affected. As mentioned earlier if wifi is not used the data locks seem to be quite rare. One thing to definitely consider is the Intercept will be getting the 2.2 update where the Moment will not 'officially'. Also the Intercept comes in pink.

9. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

You are saying the data lockups are okay then? :confused:

10. SteveVHT

I have never once had a data lockup. 3 of my friends have a Moment also and neither have they.
    I think Data Lockup is caused by the user, not the phone.

11. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

I have had a data lock on rare occasion but it is by far the exception and not the rule. Even less with the advantages of rooting and using custom kernels/scripts and even a reset script in the event one does happen the radio is reset and you go on about your day. Personal usage tendencies certainly may lend to the locks happening more frequently, but that isn't the fault of the user. The simple fact is the phone is flawed...if your personal tendency is for heavy data usage. If that is not your intent then the Moment is still a viable candidate even more so since the EOL price drop. You get a great phone, still the 3rd best phone in sprints line up for an unbeatable price for a smartphone of its caliber. It would be like getting a porche that wouldn't go over 150 mph, might not be good if your a race car driver but thats one helluva daily commuter ride for 2/3 of what the newer model costs.

kristv likes this.
  12. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Remember that people don't generally come to forums like this to say everything's great. Even a problem that seems from postings to be universally prevalent may only affect a statistically small number of users. Based on postings and personal experience, I thought all Moments suffered from weak gps reception before I had my last phone replaced. My current unit may have the most sensitive gps reception I've seen in a phone, possibly any device period. Oh, and no lockups.

13. kristv

All great input, folks...I appreciate the insight! I tend to agree with pastafarian and dntesinfrno about it being the user rather than the phone that causes a lot of issues (especially when rooting and using custom ROMs).

My daughter is going to be the typical teenage user. She'll want to Facebook and watch youtube stuff and be able to chat/text and make calls. That will likely be it. When I checked out the moment in the store, I couldn't help but notice that it appeared to be a better-quality phone compared to the Intercept. Sadly, the fact that she can get a pink Intercept might win her over to that phone though. LOL!

I believe that for what she is going to use it for, either phone will do. I just think she'd be getting a slightly nicer phone with the Moment, but I don't have in-depth experience with either phone to know for sure (which is why I posted here about it). Thanks again for your comments! :)

14. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

I you leave Wi-Fi off, lockups will be virtually non-existent. If you do use it, disable it when you're done, and then power-cycle the phone. As long as you are in an area with good Sprint signal, there should be enough speed on the network for her use.

I run stock 2.1 on my phone. No ROMs, no root, no task killers, no nothing. Performance is very sporadic. I run some applications in the background (it is a smartphone, after all...something is always running), but not an extreme number. At times, the phone runs fairly smoothly, the battery charges properly, and all is well. At other times, with the same apps running, the phone is very sluggish, and the battery won't charge. I have not been able to isolate any cause for the phone's behavior. I don't leave WiFi on, I don't use Bluetooth, and GPS on or off makes no difference.

I don't know if your daughter has ever owned (or rather, you owned, and your daughter used :) ) a smartphone. You'll definitely need a car charger for her. I'd also suggest that she keep the supplied USB cable close by, so it can be charged off the nearest PC. The battery drain on this thing is like driving a truck that gets 10 miles per gallon.

There's probably a pink cover out there that will fit the Moment.

kristv likes this.
  15. kristv

On another subject, does anyone feel it's worth getting a screen protector on this phone (Zagg?). Just wondering how resistant to scratches it is...

16. jasonacg

My phone often ends up in the same pocket as my keys, simply because I'm not paying attention. To my surprise, there is no damage to the screen, after eight months. They seem to have found a durable material for the screen.

17. kristv

Nice! Sounds like they did things right with this screen. I won't worry about it, I guess. It's always better to put it in its own pocket without loose change/keys/etc., but it sounds like occasionally forgetting to protect it won't hurt it much.

18. jasonacg

Yes, that's one thing that I can say positively about the Moment. While the rest of the phone has some serious road rash (thanks to the failure of two of Sprint's snap-on cases, once while cycling on pavement at 20mph), the screen is remarkably free of any blemishes. Luckily, the phone landed screen side up during both events, and none of the phone's functions were affected.

19. SteveVHT

The Zagg is the ONLY one I'd get. Had mine on since day one, and they sent me another one free when I had to get a replacement phone.
    Works perfectly and has zero effect on the sensitivity of the screen. Plus no more smudges....

20. DJIglesias91

DJIglesias91 New Member

I would definitely try to find a case for the phone as well as a screen protector. The phone slipped off my lap while I was sitting this past week and the screen cracked from a 2 ft drop. It's just a matter of how the phone lands and if you're lucky enough for it not to break. It wouldn't hurt to get the case even though it makes the phone a tad bulkier. If the screen ever gets messed up you can buy a replacement screen online for about 20-30.

21. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

my screen is perfect and is in my pocket with a scratched up ipod, pocket change, etc. this screen is very durable and scratch resistent