Cheap Android phone for developer

Last Updated: 2011-12-29 22:23:34
  1. gal saada

gal saada New Member

I want to start develop android appliacation, and I want to know wich phone is the most recomended for developer.
    Need to support in android version 2.3.
    The Sony-Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini can be updated to 2.3?
    Thanks, Saada

Advertisement
  2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

Oh, I would suggest a free one called the Emulator that comes with the Andriod SDK which you will have to become familiar with anyway if you are going to develop.

Get started here.
    Android SDK | Android Developers
  3. Overflowse

Overflowse Member

X10 should be able to run 2.3 yes. Even X8 does, I have used X8 myself and it has the typical screen size and prestanda of a 480x320 phone. If you need to try in higher resolution I'd go for HTC Desire or any other phone with a screen size over 4 inch.
  4. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

Emulator is a big help but for certain stuff like camera or video you still need a real device to test. On top of that I notice for some UI it looks fine in emulator but it looks a bit off on a real device. This is despite you use auto-fit layout like LinearLayout etc.

To keep story short, you need Emulator + real device to develop Android app. Emulator alone seem ok but not complete.
  5. gal saada

gal saada New Member

Many thanks,
    The X8 can be updated to 2.3 android?
    I Read that the X8 and the X10 can't be updated.
    Where can I find guide for update my X8\X10?

I tried to work with the emulator but My application it's low level application.
    Because of that the screen resolution doesn't metter to me.
  6. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

You need to look at this post. Perhaps this gentleman can help you and you can help him.
    Xperia x8
  7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I'd recommend trying to find a cheap (used) Nexus One (on ebay or something)
  8. Cryssie

Cryssie Well-Known Member

I've read that Sony Ericsson has a device-loan system for exactly this purpose. You should check out their developers website.
  9. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member Contributor

Either try get a used Google NexusOne on eBay or get a used Xperia X10 (the big one with 4inch display) as it can be updated to 2.3.3.

Xperia X8, X10mini and X10MiniPro cant be updated to 2.3, unless you load them with a custom ROM, on the other hand the big X10i has an official 2.3.3 update from SE.