Cheap Car Chargers

Last Updated:

1. hllwyh

hllwyh Active Member This Topic's Starter

I found a cheap $4.99 car charger on amazon for Nexus One that coils the cord up when not in use. Should I be cautious? 12Vs is 12Vs, but are these chargers dangerous to the N1? I mean T-mobile charges $45+ for about the same thing, so why the big difference in price?

Advertisement
  2. ztmike

ztmike Well-Known Member

Get this one
    Amazon.com: Motorola P513 Vehicle Power Adapter MicroUSB Rapid Rate Charger: The OEM Shop

Its made by Motorola and I have personally used it with the Nexus One..works great.

As far as the expensive ones that you find in store, that's all markup and advertising dollars. Kinda like the whole HDMI cable and Monsters brand..a hdmi cable is a hdmi cable..as long as its rated 1.3b spec there is no difference.

Although a hdmi cable is a little bit different than a car charger, but the one I listed above works great and has a great price.

3. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

4. hllwyh

5. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

I really like that one.

6. moto1907

moto1907 Active Member

Cheap ones are exactly that. Cheap. Do yourself a favor and by one that is a name brand. If you don't, you'll be replacing fuses in your car when they short out.

7. hllwyh

moto1907 you could be right, although I have purchased 'cheap' items before with good results. It is a crap shoot! I will let you know how it works out for me. I might have to replace a fuse, but the potential for saving money and the relative low risk led me to decide to give it a try.

8. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i bought mines at walmart for 10 bucks. works great

9. Trey1

Trey1 Member

One of the advantages of using standardized, generic chargers is that you don't have to buy an overpriced proprietary product. Buy cheap--heck, buy three or four cheap chargers-you'll still come out way ahead vs. buying one from TMobile.

10. ztmike

ztmike Well-Known Member

Do the world a favor and off yourself, or at least know what you are talking about.

The one I listed is from Motorola and is a "cheap" one.

11. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

monoprice.com

Search usb car chargers and you'll see they have a car adaptor with a USB plug that provides 1000mA for charging and you can plug in any usb data cable (usb-to-usb micro, usb-to-usb mini, etc). It also has protection circuitry to prevent overcharging. In comparison, the rapid charger for the Nexus One runs at 980mA. The best part about the monoprice.com charger? It's a $1 and change and unlike other sites, you can ship via USPS which is reasonable and cheaper than UPS ground. If you've never heard of this website, it's very popular for home theater enthusiasts because they sell high quality hdmi cables for much less than brand name stuff. People swear by them. I swear by them as I've been using their stuff for years.

12. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Ebay is overrun with brand-name car chargers for phones, which you can generally get for four or five bucks, including shipping. While I suppose it's possible that they're knockoffs, there sure wouldn't be much money in that ... I suspect they're actually production overruns, exactly the same product that the cell stores would sell for twenty dollars or so. Definitely the way to go, I think.

13. Trey1

Trey1 Member

A second for monoprice.com

Good stuff at a good price. The "go to" place for serious home theater enthusiasts that know enough not to buy Monster HDMI cables.

14. ztmike

ztmike Well-Known Member

Actually Monoprice is a bit expensive when it comes to HDMI cables..and their site is horrible for browsing. (not to mention they always seem to be sold out)

I buy my hdmi cables at firefold.com high quality and cheaper prices.

15. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

i'm going to wait for the Google car craddle... it will have a charger built in obviously

16. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Based on the few pictures out there, it's not going to charge your phone. It'll be like the Droid car cradle in that it puts your phone automatically in car mode and gives you a cradle you can mount somewhere in your car. You would still need a separate charger for power.

17. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Hmmm... that would kinda suck...

18. moto1907

moto1907 Active Member

Wow. You took my post very personal. I didn't look at your link as you stated it was Motorola. I didn't feel the need point yours out regardless of the price. I was stating that he should buy a name brand one and save the hassle of future issues that may arise and yes I know what I'm talking about. I'm sure I've forgotten more about electricity than you'll ever know. Now I hope that clears things up to you. If you feel as if I was saying something a bout your suggestion on car chargers and felt as if I was attacking it I think you need to reread my post and then take a look at yourself as it seems You have some personal issues.

19. hllwyh

Just a quick report on the 'cheap' charger that I bought. While it states it is for the N1 it has three adapters and one fits the N1. So far I have been very happy with the charger. It fits properly in my car's 12v socket. It has a blue light that confirms that it has a good electrical connection. The retractable cord seems to work very well, but the cord is very thin and I am very careful with it. I really like the ability to retract the cord when not in use or retract to the length desire when charging. Because of the low cost I am sure that longevity will be an issue, but for under $5 I am satisfied.

20. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

And a "third." I got their car charger that was mentioned earlier, and it's doing a great job. Can't beat their prices on most things (haven't checked out their HDMI cables, though, since I don't have any use for them at the moment).