Cheap wall charger weirdnessSupport

Last Updated:

1. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I picked up a spare generic wall charger so I have one for both home and office. It charges just fine...no problems whatsoever. However, when the phone is plugged into the charger, if I use the touchscreen, the touch accuracy is inaccurate.

For instance, when inputting the security unlock pattern, if I start tracing from the upper left, the input will register as middle left. If I click on an icon on the home screen, it'll "miss" that icon and select another one. Removing the phone from the charger rectifies the problem immediately. Touch accuracy is fine when the device is plugged into the standard Moto charger.

Anyone else using a knock off charger and having touch input issues?

Advertisement
  2. geobernd

geobernd Member

A couple of posts here already about the same.
    I had the same issue with chargers from eBay and an Amazon Market seller. I contacted both and they sent higher quality chargers (they looked slightly different) as replacements and both are fine now.

3. rogue994

rogue994 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I got a generic $5 charger and while it does charge the phone, I really can't do anything with it as it doesn't seem to register the correct touch screen actions.

4. ItalianScallion

Searched the threads before I posted and didn't see any relevant info...I need to search better next time. :eek:

Glad (I think) to see it's not specific to my charger, which I purchased from Amazon as well.

5. craiglester

craiglester Active Member

I got 2 Genuine Motorola travel chargers for $8 shipped off ebay. I don't know why people are messing about with cheap knock off chargers when real ones are so easily available for such low cost.

6. hounddoglgs

hounddoglgs Member

I would highly recommend NOT to use the cheap phone chargers. I hate spending $30 for one myself, but it is the safest bet. With those cheap ones, you quite often get what you pay for. Keep in mind that overvoltage can easily fry your nice expensive new phone, and such damage is not always immediately apparent.

7. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

I had this problem during a trip and assumed it was the dashmount causing the problem. Now that I think about it, I only had problems when I had it plugged into the cheap car charger that came with the mount and mic'ed headphones for $3.55. I will get a better charger then, rather than a new mount. Has anyone had problems with a motorola charger?

8. ItalianScallion

Frankly, I've been burned before with eBay cables claiming to be OEM only to receive them and they are most clearly not, so I avoid eBay cables like the plague. If I'm going to buy generic cables, I want to know they're generic. :D

That being said, do you remember the seller? If they worked for you and they sell in volume, I'd order from them. Could you PM me if so? Thanks.

9. craiglester

search for this item # on ebay.. thats what I got, it's not the fastest charger, but it's genuine motorola (Has the hologram stickers and stuff). Works great.

Ebay Item 250539085179

3.95 with free shipping. Why pay more?

10. ItalianScallion

Thanks!

11. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

I bought a bunch of USB to USB micro 6 ft cables along with wall plug to USB and car outlet to USB adapters from monoprice.com. Super cheap and very reliable so far.

12. brianhvo

brianhvo Member

I bought one of these from monoprice and had the problem as the original poster. Touchscreen went all crazy when plugged in. I'll just stick with usb cable charging when I'm at work since I sit in front of my laptop all day anyways.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10311&cs_id=1031106&p_id=3540&seq=1&format=2

13. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

The Motorola chargers will not let you down. The cheap ones, will.

Unfortunately, I get that jittery screen situation when connecting to my laptop's USB port, so it's not just cheap chargers that can cause it (and no, it's not a cheap laptop :). No screen jitter when connecting to my desktop USB port. So, the DROID is clearly very sensitive to the quality of input voltage.

14. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

I've been using this guy for awhile and have had no issues.

15. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member

It charges your Droid? I bought that same one after seeing your post, it arrived today and I tested it out, but nothing happens when I plug it in :(

16. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

i work at bestbuy so i bought a rocketfish car and home charger for like 0.66 cents and they work fine

17. craiglester

Sounds like you got a bad one. I'd contact the Seller for a replacement. My 2 work great, don't charge as fast as the supplied charger, but still plenty to charge with everything running.

18. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I see people talk about getting a Motorola charger I agree!
    but is there a Motorola charger that gives the same or more power to the droid as the one supplied with the phone. Looks like we can't buy the supplied charger so would be nice to get one that charges as fast as the original supplied one.

Anyone know where to get an equivalent one?

Thanks!