• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheapest place to get a G2 or a Droid X with new contract?

durps

Nov 14, 2010
moving to t-mo or verizon and need to find the cheapest place to get these 2 phones. I'm kinda late for all the blackfriday deals but I was wondering if anyone knew any other places that were still doing deals on these 2 phones?
At bestbuy they're doing free G2s today, but today only and I can only get the new phone on wednesday so i'm going to miss out on this :/

My last resort is amazonwireless but am I safe there? If my phone messes up will they still replace it like a verizon wireless store? or can i just walk in a Verizon store and they replace my phone there even though I didn't purchase the phone directly from them?

THANKS!

moving to t-mo or verizon and need to find the cheapest place to get these 2 phones. I'm kinda late for all the blackfriday deals but I was wondering if anyone knew any other places that were still doing deals on these 2 phones?
At bestbuy they're doing free G2s today, but today only and I can only get the new phone on wednesday so i'm going to miss out on this :/

My last resort is amazonwireless but am I safe there? If my phone messes up will they still replace it like a verizon wireless store? or can i just walk in a Verizon store and they replace my phone there even though I didn't purchase the phone directly from them?

THANKS!

Unless things have changed, Verizon will not swap phones out like that. I know this because my girlfriend signed a contract for a chocolate years ago, but purchased from a VZW certified cell phone store. verizon would have nothing to do with it. They were only willing to look at devices that came from their store (or another VZW store, NOT retailer).

You could get the cheap TMO plan and just buy the phone outright on eBay as suggested, but that leavs a big gap in the logic to me. If you are viewing the contract as what it costs to own the phone, sure it is almost always cheaper to not have the pay the contract monthly fees and then whatever discount you got on the phone. If you do actually plan things like use lots of data, texts, minutes, etc. the contract isn't bad at all. After all, you should be paying for the SERVICE at that point, not the phone.

Upvote 0
...You could get the cheap TMO plan and just buy the phone outright on eBay as suggested, but that leavs a big gap in the logic to me. If you are viewing the contract as what it costs to own the phone, sure it is almost always cheaper to not have the pay the contract monthly fees and then whatever discount you got on the phone. If you do actually plan things like use lots of data, texts, minutes, etc. the contract isn't bad at all. After all, you should be paying for the SERVICE at that point, not the phone.
What? The T-mobile discounted plan when you buy a device outright provides for unlimited data / texts and a decent bucket of minutes. Do you know what is being referred to?

Upvote 0
thanks for the input guys! i would get it from Bestbuy and get them for free, but unfortunately my father is out the country for now so i can't purchase anything until i speak with him about carrier prices and phones, etc.

And yes, I have looked into doing the whole process of just buying a phone for the retail price and not going with a contract but the thing is that my dad has wasted over 3gs for his last trip to our country since it's the last he'll be able to go until another 10 years so the bank account doesn't have too much money in there so it'd be really expensive to drop all that money on two phones at the time being.

so far really looking into buying from dell. if there is a problem with my phone can they exchange it and such?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones