1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapest way to sync Outlook 2010 to an Android phone?

Last Updated:

1. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Howdy,

I'm brand new to the Android world and, in fact, don't even have a phone yet. However, I'll be picking up the LG Optimus S w/Sprint in the next day or so.

All my information (email, calendar, contacts, notes, etc) are all managed in Outlook (stand alone, not Exchange). I've been told that there's no way to sync directly from Outlook to an Android phone so I'm looking for the cheapest way to accomplish that and have good results.

My emails come through Gmail so that part is already done.
    I use Google's Calendar Sync program so my calendar is already in my Gmail account so that is also done.

The contacts and notes are only in Outlook so that's where my main question lies.

I've been pointed to the program called Gsyncit which seems to be $20. This looks to sync everything from Outlook to Gmail and hence to the phone. Since I already use Google's calendar sync, O don't need Gsyncit for that but if I use it for contacts and tasks, I guess I might as well use it for the calendar as well.

I've also heard of CompanionLink but that's $40 and seems to accomplish the same thing.

Anyone have any other recommendations that might be free or under $20? I'd prefer having this all done wirelessly but if there's a free way to do it via USB, I'd at least consider that option.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. cron912

cron912 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it myself, but the Sourceforge project 'go contact sync' might work for you. Although, I believe it sync's between Outlook and Gmail Contacts, not your phone.

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You can export your contacts to a csv file, then login to your gmail on your computer and import that file.

4. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Syncing into GMail's contacts is fine because the phone can pull from there. I'll check it out.

This option isn't syncing. It's a one time copy that doesn't do any good after that. I need something that actually syncs between the devices.

5. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

I use Outlook 200 and just use MyPhoneExplorer. Works for calendar and contacts. See ... FJ Software Development .... so far no problems with it. There is also a forum that goes along with the product and the developer seems fairly responsive to problems and requests.

HTH.

Dave

6. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

For your contacts, I would export them as a .csv file and then upload them to the primary Google Account that you plan to link to your phone. They will automatically populate into your phone after that.

For your notes, you might want to consider looking into some of the various note applications that are out there. Some of the better ones are cross-platform, and designed to work with your PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, whatever.

I've currently been using several, trying to narrow down what I like the best.

Among my leading candidates at the moment: Evernote and Catch. Power Note and Ultra Mate have also been apps I've tried out. I find myself using the last 3 less and less, and Evernote more and more.

You can "share" your note captures in these apps, via email, sms, whatever. If you really want to keep the notes function alive in Outlook (I don't, I have let Evernote become the main repository) I would think you could easily create a "Notes only" email address for yourself on gmail, hotmail, whatever your flavor. Add that email account to your Outlook, then create a rule that sends all incoming messages to that address into your Notes (or to a "Notes" folder in your inbox, for later importing. I haven't tried to do it, so I don't know if there is a direct feed to it or not.)

Edit: in Outlook 2007, I can create a rule that sends the email to the Notes section. I would assume 2010 still has that.