• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheapskate

Dubon

Lurker
Jan 21, 2009
I'm wondering, after the initial setup of the phone is done, can I just cancel the $25 data plan and switch to the cheapo Mobile WAP plan for $5.99. Will this plan work with this phone?

I had this cheapo plan on my account when I first received the phone and could not use it to register the phone at all till I upgraded to the full fledged 3G plan. Now, after I'm done activating the phone, if I downgrade, will I still be able to browse the web with G1, like I did (albeit slowly) with my old SonyEriccson K750i? Or will I lose all connectivity together, due to G1 being designed specifically for 3G use?

From what i've read you can set up the wap work around but certain services won't work anymore. You can use the browser at 3g speed but the market, maps and pretty much any apps using the web won't work anymore. It's odd because when I used the work around on my wing, maps worked fine. Again, this is just from what i've read I'm not using the hack myself. If you do end up going that route please let us know how it works out.

Upvote 0
On my previous phone (SE K750i) I was using the wap cheap plan not only to browse regular web (with opera mini only) but also use GoogleMaps, that would have no problem utilizing the connection. This is why I was surprised to see that G1 didn't want to use the same connection for initial registration.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones