Check 4G Coverage Towers

Last Updated:

1. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have been having some major fluctuations lately with my 4G speeds here in Utah. I have talked to Sprint a few times (pretty useless), and, just recently I spoke with Clearwire. For those who don't know, the 4G network is powered through Clearwire - even if you talk to a Sprint rep who has never heard of them (as I did earlier).

Anyway, if what I was told is correct, they do not throttle people at all on usage, and, in fact, are not even capable of doing that. They send out a radio, analog signal that cannot be directed to any specific modem (your phone). Therefore, they can not throttle somebody's 4G speed based on their usage as has been rumored. Instead, they are experiencing high traffic on the current towers - much higher than anticipated due to the popularity of these phones. They are doing a lot of maintenance on towers and building new ones. If the bandwidth gets too full on a certain tower for whatever reason, everybody's 4G speed will be slowed down to ensure that everyone can at least connect to the internet, although streaming movies may be out of the question. So he said that with some more time, things will get more stable.

So the main reason I am posting this is to let people know that they can check out this link to see where the 4G towers are in their area through google maps. For all I know, everybody else has already seen this, but I found it quite interesting. Hopefully over time things are going to pick back up so I stop getting random 50 kbps download times.

CLEAR | 4G WiMAX Internet Coverage Map with Service Area.

Sorry for the long post.

Advertisement
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Wow, I just zoomed in the Vegas area, its amazing how many towers it takes to deply something like this.