Check a text message while browsing web?General

Last Updated:

1. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way that I can check a text message while on the web, then return to the same spot I was?

I'm pretty sure that if I open up the browser, most of the time it will take you back to the last page you were on.

But if i click on a link in gmail that takes me to this site, for instance, then I get a text message, i cant read my text message without having to back out of the webpage i'm on and loosing my spot.
    Which is pretty frustrating.

Is there something I'm overlooking?
    Or maybe a different browser?

Advertisement
  2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

You can. when you get a text, swipe down on the notification bar and it'll display the new message in the menu, then click on it and will take you to the message, send your text and hit the back button. Should take you right back to the browser. An easier way is to download Handcent and enable the pop up feature, it has a quick reply in it and disappears when you send the reply. I hardly ever actually go into the Handcent app to send messages, just to start new convos and to delete threads.

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

You can also hold down the home button and get a list of the last 6 apps your accessed ... if you select the web app in this list it will return you to the same sopt you were on when you opened another app

cableguynoe likes this.
  4. cableguynoe

First of all, thank you. I had my HAndcent popup setting to Restrict Popup. It would only pop up when phone was locked.

However, as far as the notification bar, that does no show at all then browsing the web.
    That's why i was frustrated about having to back out of the web to check a message.

Does a different browser allow the notification bar to show?
    I'm on the stock browser and hadn't seen a good reason to try another. But this would definately be a good reason

5. cableguynoe

Edit:

Awesome! That's it.
    If im browsing the web, hold down the menu button to open handcent!! That's what I was overlooking.
    Then I never actually exited the browser, so i back out of Handcent, or hit the menu again and click browser, and it takes me back to where I last was.

Another reason I love my Eris!!! It's all there... sometimes just need a little help finding it!!!

6. zerocool79346

Hmm, I haven't been on the stock browser since about 2 days after I got the phone and hadn't noticed that. Yeah, if you download xScope from the market, it will overlay on your stock browser (meaning it gives you a different skin, pin zoom...etc while still using the stock browser to navigate pages) and if you swipe down from the top of the screen, it will show the notification bar.

7. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

xScope uses the stock browser? I didn't realize that. I never gave xScope much of a shot, so I might try it again. Being able to show Flash content and use my location would be excellent. I'm using Dolphin now, and it can't do those things, so I always switch to stock browser if I need Flash.

Anyway, since you're browsing a link opened from an email, you might have to click the email shortcut after you long-press Home, instead of the browser shortcut. Not sure about that, but if the browser shortcut doesn't work like you wanted it to, that's something to try.

8. smacky

smacky Banned

I think Dolphin browser left the notifications bar in tact while browsing.

9. zerocool79346

It does on mine anyway. I'm not sure it is just supposed to overlay the Browser or replace it all together, but it always opens the stock browser and uses that on mine, I just posed that question in the xScope thread in the app section so as soon as I get a definitive answer, I'll post back in here.

10. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Oh... You might just not have it set as default then. Likewise, when I have Dolphin set as the default, if I open the Stock browser and click a link, it opens Dolphin instead.

11. zerocool79346

I thought that was the issue, but I set it as the default and cleared all the defaults on the stock browser, but it still opens everytime I surf using xScope so I'm betting xScope is just a feature overlay. I would give it a shot if I were you, it has a lot cleaner look than Dolphin and the pin zoom works 10x better than Dolphin's pinch zoom.