• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Check in! (Those with unlimited data)

BTW, AT&T considers "unlimited" at 5GB
PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.
Search for 5 GB

Really? When I had my 3gs, I average about 1.5GB-2GB a month. A few months ago I decided how much data I can use so I turned off wifi for the whole month and used only data. To make it worst, I tried to use as much data as I can so I had Pandora running almost 24/7 and watched a bunch of youtube video.:D I ended up eating about 7.5GB worth of data that month. I did not get any notification or any extra charge on my bill. I only did it for that month though and I turned on my wifi.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what are you using your phone for that can be pushing so much data?

The only thing I can think of is tethering, video conferencing, and streaming video&audio... For all other uses of smartphones, 2GB should be plenty... I'm on track to only have used 1GB this month (which is entirely 3G with this new phone, no wifi at all).

Upvote 0
Really? When I had my 3gs, I average about 1.5GB-2GB a month. A few months ago I decided how much data I can use so I turned off wifi for the whole month and used only data. To make it worst, I tried to use as much data as I can so I had Pandora running almost 24/7 and watched a bunch of youtube video.:D I ended up eating about 7.5GB worth of data that month. I did not get any notification or any extra charge on my bill. I only did it for that month though and I turned on my wifi.
Alot can change in a few months.
I did not write the TOS

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what are you using your phone for that can be pushing so much data?

The only thing I can think of is tethering, video conferencing, and streaming video&audio... For all other uses of smartphones, 2GB should be plenty... I'm on track to only have used 1GB this month (which is entirely 3G with this new phone, no wifi at all).

Same here. I'm not particularly careful about what I do with my phone, and I don't even come close to 2GB. I'm sure having wifi at home helps, but that should be the case for most people.

Even so, I feel I have plenty of buffer space even if I'm away from wifi for a few nights during the month.

I do sort of think of my downloads like I think of my free-nights-and-weekends minutes: "do I really need to download these apps now, or can it wait until tonight when I'm home?"

Upvote 0
Alot can change in a few months.
I did not write the TOS

This part is interesting...in the Wireless Data section, in the DataPlus/DataPro/Tethering area:

"If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service."

Dang...

But, are they allowed to change sh!t whenever they want, and make it applicable to people who ALREADY have a contract in place?

Honestly, though, so far, they have been pretty fair, I think.
The only people who have complained, are those who are trying to scarf down 10-20GB/mo on Wireless Data. It's THOSE that screwed it up for the rest of us...

They are the reason unlimited data is gone on AT&T, and soon probably will be gone on Vz and Sprint. Vz already mentioned a few months back that they were looking at changing the tiering for data plans...

T

Upvote 0
I mentioned it in another thread, but thought I'd share my whole story here:

I had an unlimited data plan from my iPhone 3G, 2 on this family plan actually (one is my fiancees) and had been monitoring our data usage the past 6 months. I would get close to 2gb/mo a few times, but never went over. She was no where near as close.

When I decided to bail on iP4 and go w/the Cappy, I stupidly decided to ditch the unlimited for 2gb+ tethering. Well after just a few days reading here and watching how much data this thing hogged up, I realized I had made a mistake and immediately called AT&T to see what they could do. Apparently if you give up your unlimited data, you have 48 hours to switch back, something that was not told to me at time of sale. I had called on my 51st hour after purchase...

So the chick on the phone told me there was nothing that she could do, so I proposed this situation: Return the Cappy and get back on my iPhone unlimited plan, then re-buy the Cappy and keep my unlimited data. She couldn't say "yes" for sure, but I could tell by her tone that I had found a loophole. I went back into the store where I bought it and presented this situation to the asst. manager, and he said that he thought he could get around it without me having to return the phone. It took about 24 hours, but I have my unlimited back! So excited I don't have to worry about killing apps every 30 mins and keeping an eye on 3G Watchdog and Juice Defender all day, it's a great feeling! Sure I gave up tethering, but it's saving me $15/mo and who needs it with all that this phone can do.

Who else is lucky enough to have grandfathered in the unlimited data?

I'm pretty sure soon someone will find a way to do tethering without being on AT&Ts plan. They've found a way around it on the Droid, so i know they can on here. It may not be Wifi tether, but wired tether is also possible.

Upvote 0
I had unlimited on a dumb texting phone, so when I made the switch they wouldn't let me go unlimited. No biggie, work out of the house, allowing me to get wifi virtually all day everyday. In my fourth day with the Cappy and I've only used 7.68 MB lol. It should be interesting to see what my data usage looks like during my week vacation in hawaii next week.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones