Check Out This Crock of Crap Article from PCMag

Last Updated:

1. aerajan

aerajan Active Member This Topic's Starter

I saw this in a recent PC Mag post. This guy is the next worst thing to Steve Jobs. He seems to think he's some kind of authority on Android. I say he's a tool. Skim this crock of b.s.
    pcworld.com/article/189969/google_android_is_doomed_to_selfdestruct.html?tk=r el_news

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

that article IS pretty bad...considering the guy doesn't have his facts straight...or I don't, one of the two :p

What devices have been updated to 2.1? None that I know of (unless they fixed the Droid slipup a while back). The Eris doesn't have 2.0, it's got 1.5 just like the Hero (correct?).

He does have a point about so many different devices on different carriers on different versions of Android. And that's something that really needs to be looked at and fixed. In my opinion, there should be a consensus between the carriers, manufacturers, and Google, as to when to update to the next version, and what phones to do it on. Every phone that can handle the update to the next version of Android should be updated within a month of the first phone being released/updated to that version. That's just my opinion, but it makes sense in my mind lol

3. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

That there is not journalism. Worst article I have read in a long time. I can not take this author seriously if they can not get their facts straight, even if some of the points are valid. I work as a photojournalist, our reporters and us are held responsible to get the facts straight and if we don't have the facts there is no story period.

4. lv2bll

lv2bll Well-Known Member

according to this guy the eris has 2.0?????.......lol

5. lv2bll

lv2bll Well-Known Member

Apparently he's complaining on the very things that make this os great and one of a kind. ex: the fact that htc and moto have their own skin(blur & sense) over the stock vanilla. The reason that many developers are backing this os is the ease of use and the limitless of customization.
    On the contrary i will agree with the fact that the manufacturers should agree to some king of an upgrading contract with google that they will upgrade firmware for x amount of time after release to whatever's current with google

just my 2 cents

6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

love how he goes on toe say that future updates to SenseUI will break existing apps..

as far as I know.. SenseUI is just a user interface.. the apps are operating in Android.. Sooooooooooo... SenseUI can't break the apps.. even if an update to Sense or Android broke an app... they creator of that app should have an update available to fix it... it's not a responsibility of Android or SenseUI to make sure an app is compatible with the current version of OS.

Add to his misinformation about Eris and the version it has... coupled by the LACK of mention that 2.1 (the current release) is already slated for upgrade to all current android phones..

then add in his LACK of mentioning that with apple you get the upgraded OS by buying a new phone.. no OTA upgrade for them.. and all the different WinMo variations out there.. yet Android is the one that's self destructing? believe that and I'll sell you a lot of beach front property in Arizona

7. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

LOL this is a great read. I gotta show this to Rob.

8. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

The first commenter on the story said it best ...

"It seems that PCWorld has seen some Apple cash flow in the back door lately.

Must be -

Or maybe you're just populated by fanboys ?

Get out of the sandbox.

Go Android."

9. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

10. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

This gives me great hope that I can get hired on my Infoworld to be a tech writer, apparently all I need to do is submit a resume with my name on it and I'll be hired instantly.

11. Danokan

Danokan Well-Known Member

12. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

Wow! I wonder is this guy is as stupid as he sounds?

"Who wants to commit to a two-year cell contract for an Android phone when it's not clear if a better version will be out next month or if the operating system and apps you put on your Android device will be supported in the future?Who wants to commit to a two-year cell contract for an Android phone when it's not clear if a better version will be out next month or if the operating system and apps you put on your Android device will be supported in the future?"

That makes no sense. iPhone fanboy speak for sure!

13. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

Obviously he is a moron as there are always better phones coming out.........

14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

"Hi my name is doomed" LOL

I can agree with the author about updates, this is currently a mess. Maybe phone devs could agree to one upgrade in the lifespan of the phone, as soon as the update is released. This is something Google should mandate, not carriers. As far as I know gen one iPhones are not compatible with the latest software from apple?

15. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

The internet has doomed journalism, I'm sure of it. I just want to put in my two cents on a couple things in the article. Apple only has one carrier, and one phone (just different versions of it, nothing really new), of course they can control OS updates easier!

Android, like the PC market, offers a TON of different options to consumers, hence the free market business plan. My computer right now cost me $750, a comparable Apple would have been twice that, minimum. As with almost everything in the market, a lack of central control by one corporation breeds competition, innovation, and lower prices. Google's business plan = benefit for us the consumers.

One thing about the consumer confusion brought on by this, uh, no shit. Advances in high tech devices happen how often? Oh, all the time, so I guess we should probably do adequate research before making a $500 dollar purchase.

16. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

rofl!

17. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

and that's one of the things wrong with iPhone (IMO).. Android allows for updates to the OS.. of course at some point a phone will be outdated to a point that it won't work on a new OS.. but that isn't likely from a gen 1 to a gen 2...