• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Checking for updates

shawn487

Android Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2009
South Dakota
I just wanted to start a thread about how many times people have been checking for updates on this phone.... i mean i check 6-7 times a day reading new forums searching the internet jumping from one site to the other. All of this just to find out if something new has leaked.... how many of you out there are doing the same thing? How many times a day? Please tell me that your all doing the same so i dont feel like such a freak

I was dead set on buying a Droid until I saw the leaked pics of the Passion.

Definitely checking a bunch of sites multiple times/day to see what's new.

Anyone got some other good sites to check?

I check:
Phandroid
BGR
Engadget

and also check, of course, this forum.

Though I'm thinking as time goes on and we don't have any new info, I might have to just get the Droid. I need a phone now, can't wait until sometime in Q1

Upvote 0
You update fiends who refresh 100 times a day should look into RSS readers. I use Google Reader http://www.google.com/reader which allows you to subscribe to a site's RSS update feed if it is offered. All the major blog sites including phandroid have an RSS feed and whenever an update occurs it shows up in your RSS reader. No more needing to alt-tab then refresh all day long.

Upvote 0
Hey guys...I'm new to the forum and new to Android (getting my Droid this Friday). But I have been trying to find out information on the Passion and I found this article. Some of you may have read it before but it is different than all the other message boards and articles I have read. I just thought i should post it to get your opinion. The guy does make some sense when he says why would verizon put so much money and effort into promoting the Droid when it has a more powerful phone coming out around the same time?

Mystery: HTC Passion (Dragon) Headed to T-Mobile UK? - PhoneDog Cell Phone News & Articles

Upvote 0
Hey guys...I'm new to the forum and new to Android (getting my Droid this Friday). But I have been trying to find out information on the Passion and I found this article. Some of you may have read it before but it is different than all the other message boards and articles I have read. I just thought i should post it to get your opinion. The guy does make some sense when he says why would verizon put so much money and effort into promoting the Droid when it has a more powerful phone coming out around the same time?

Mystery: HTC Passion (Dragon) Headed to T-Mobile UK? - PhoneDog Cell Phone News & Articles

Well why did the Imagio come out a little over 30 days after the Touch Pro 2 when they're the same phone internally? Answer: Because one's a touchscreen w/ slider qwerty, and the other is just a touchscreen.

What's the Droid? Touchscreen w/ slider qwerty
What the Passion? Touchscreen only

They are not competing devices because some will demand a physical keyboard while others (myself included) would prefer a slimmer handset with a virtual keyboard.

Anyway, I check too many times a day and it gets frustrating when nothing is out there. I actually just found this forum and signed up because in the absence of blog info, it's nice to be able to actively discuss this with others. I just someone would leak something already. Pictures would be great. SOMEBODY has to have a test unit in hand! I think these bloggers should start offering cash for info. :D

Upvote 0
I'll throw myself into the mix as well and would rather not say how often i check for new on the Passion. My Google Reader account is currently almost exclusively dedicated to possible Passion feeds. Found this this morning...probably not news to most but I figured i'd throw it into the pot.

HTC Dragon has been in testing at Google for weeks; release imminent? - SlashGear

Needless to say I hope this thing comes out ASAP. I'm using a 4 year old Verizon phone and this is the phone i'm waiting for before i upgrade.

Upvote 0
Couldnt you use the trackball to choose answer or ignore?

True, although I too would appreciate the call buttons such as the Eris has. Also, let's hope the thing has decent battery life and they don't go for a paper thin design at the expense of a decent battery. Personally, after carrying around a three year old thick flip phone, i wouldn't mind something a little thicker than the iphone. Smartphones just feel so dinky, will have to get use to that i suppose.

Upvote 0
If the picture is accurate, I don't like that there are no talk and end buttons. It appears to have the same buttons as the Droid plus the track ball. Answering calls on the Droid is a pain if your hands are full or if you have on gloves.

This really confuses me about the high end Verizon Android phones. When I had the Droid it always annoyed me to some degree. It wasn't a issue when I had to answer a call, but it would have been nice to have a button to hit end since sometimes the on screen button would take a moment to respond.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones