Checking if phone is unlockedSupport

Last Updated: 2013-03-08 19:00:06
  1. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I was just trying to check if my phone is locked or not but I can't seem to do it
    I tried checking the status of my phone's network lock by going to dial pad and entering *# 7465625# Usually after you enter the last symbol (#), it should take you to the specified screen and tell you if your phone is carrier locked or not. However nothing is happening and if i press the call button it says "running USSD code" and says its and invalid code.

Any wisdom?

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Does it have any carrier software on it mate?
  3. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

It does but my previous one did as well and it was unlocked
  4. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

They removed that USSD code function at some point with one of their firmware updates. Don't you have a different SIM to try on it?
    Mar likes this.
  5. funkylogik

Right so it was bought as a locked phone and then (maybe) unlocked. I dunno tbh other than as sherlock says trying someones sim in it unless theres maybe an app that tells the lock status..
  6. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Thanks. The thing is all my other sim cards are bigger and I don't want to cut them down unless I am sure they can actually go in the phone! But yea I think it is actually locked.
  7. funkylogik

Why do u think its locked (or unlocked) mate? Did u buy it off ebay or something?
  8. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

No I got it with a contract and it was locked but I asked them to unlock it and it is taking them ages so I was wondering if there is a way to check if they have done it yet. They said they are going to contact me but I still haven't heard from them.
    funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

I cant think of a way to test it without a sim man. I tried puttin a few strings of words into play store but couldnt find anythin..
    Mar likes this.
  10. funkylogik

Unless its a US phone, try the GalaxSim Unlock app mate (free)
    It claims to be able to unlock s3s but also tells you the lock status. Havent tried it but its worth a shot :thumbup:
  11. sherlock5545

I unlocked mine with that app, however you need to be rooted.
    Mar and funkylogik like this.
  12. funkylogik

Will it tell you the network lock status without root though mate?
  13. sherlock5545

Nope, without root it can't read the phone status, unfortunately.
    funkylogik likes this.
  14. funkylogik

cheers mate.
    Hmm im stumped then op sorry
  15. sherlock5545

[​IMG]Here's how it would look like with that app, it requires root though.
    funkylogik likes this.
  16. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

The Provider can not unlock the phone OTA, the code has to be manually input on the device. Call back and request the Sim Unlock code. You will need a Sim from another Provider to get it to pop up the window to input the unlock code.
    Mar and grunt0300 like this.
  17. grunt0300

grunt0300 Well-Known Member

I can confirm this. AT&T just gave me the unlock code for my SGSIII.:)
  18. funkylogik

Great point lol why didnt i think of that. If its the same as in UK u get a 16 didgit PUK code to enter when u put in another sim :thumbup:
  19. grunt0300

My unlock code for AT&T is only eight digits.:p
    funkylogik likes this.
  20. funkylogik

Must be a slight difference in other countrys then. Im pretty sure its been like 12 or 16 didgets when ive unlocked phones.
    Does it work the same way though? (Just put in a different sim then enter the code when prompted)
  21. grunt0300

That's what they told me. Now i need to find a SIM card, the same size as mine, but from another carrier.LOL I have an old T-Mobile SIM card, but it's too big to fit into the slot.:(
  22. sherlock5545

What about CDMA phone? Are those strictly locked to one network as they do not have a sim slot? Just curious, I've never been to the US, so all these is pretty new to me.
  23. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Yes, CDMA phones in the us are tied to a carrier

Its possible to switch to some prepaid networks but its a legal grey area.
    sherlock5545 and funkylogik like this.
  24. funkylogik

lol DONT attempt to do it without a proper sim cutter. Most lil phone shops will do it for free if youre friendly. Ive seen friends try to cut sims with a carpet knife or whatever and failing badly :)
  25. grunt0300

The old Sim is too thick to fit into the slot. I think that i need a newer type of SIM card. My daughter uses T-Mobile, so if her Sim is the same size as mine, i'm good to go.:p