• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CheckROM v6 - A Dummies Guide to installation

Thanks Sword Fish!

That comment is very telling:-

[ROM][XWLA4][2.3.6] CheckROM RevoHD? V6 | Page 42 | CheckROM

If reputable ROM developers, such as the CheckROM team, feel that Samsung's official release, LPQ, is, "less than perfect", to begin with... then that's another good reason to stay on GingerBread and CheckROM v6.

It makes me wonder if Samsung didn't just rush this build out in an effort to fulfil their promise of ICS for the SGSII in Q1... come what may!

Ah well! Back to chilling out and waiting patiently. Anyone care to join me?...

Wonderful Chill Out Music - Elmara & Native American - YouTube

Very cool music, sounds a lot like Enya who I listen to often when I need to chill out...

Upvote 0
To flash CheckROM v6...

Providing your phone is already rooted using the CF-Root method and have the CWM app, that is automatically installed using this method, in your App Drawer. For CF-Root see here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...t/482994-rooting-galaxy-s2-dummies-guide.html

1. Download the CheckROM RevoHD v6 .zip file from here:-

[ROM][XWLA4][2.3.6] CheckROM RevoHD? V6 | CheckROM

and install the unopened .zip file in the root, (not in a file), of your internal SD card, (or external SD card if you prefer).

NB. If you choose to download the CheckROM RevoHD v6.zip file to your phone, using the phone's browser, your file will appear in, "sdcard/downloads" and you should make a note of this location when you come to flash the installation of this .zip file.

2. Ensure that you have made a nandroid and Titanium backup (although you may only be using the Titanium restore. The nandroid is your get-out-of-jail card).

AndroidNZ: [At Your Own Risk] How to backup your Rooted 'Droid - NANDROID & Titanium Backup

3. Make sure that you have read the FAQ's in this post:-

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][XWLA4][FEB 18] CheckROM RevoHD

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum SpunkyMehta and thanks for joining.

Personally I haven't tried going from ics back to GB so I can't say for definite but it should just be a case of following the guide. I have however seen a few posts where people have had problems when others haven't so it does seem to be a bit hit and miss. So I would recommend having a nandroid backup of the lpq ROM just in case.

Reactions: SpunkyMehta
Upvote 0
Sorry...

Just says...
Error while downloading "Facebook for Android" "Facebook for Android" could not be downloaded due to an error.

This happens for whatever app I try to download.

I reinstalled the latest Siyah kernel after the rom. While I was doing this I noticed it now says

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
" " " /last_log
" " " /last_log

Could that be something to do with it?

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the avast app. It was previously installed and i've got some other messages when I tried to reflash the ROM...

When wiping data i get...
Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping format
Data wipe complete

The cache wipes ok.

When I try to wipe the dalvik I get...
E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
Dalvik Cache wiped

Any ideas from this?

Upvote 0
Will CheckRom v6 work on a i9100 running 2.3.5? Also, what are the major benefits of this rom over the stock firmware?

Currently I am rooted and using a Siyah 2.6.14 kernel. I am kinda looking at going a bit more into modding my S2, but would like some input as to what benefits/improvements flashing a custom rom would give me.

Thanks for the help
lotsi81

Upvote 0
Will CheckRom v6 work on a i9100 running 2.3.5?

Yes!

Also, what are the major benefits of this rom over the stock firmware?

Kitchen Pro has to be the big attraction for this ROM. Loads of mod's, themes, kernels, etc; etc:

Very easy to install and use. Fairly idiot proof... up until now! ;)

Very fast and stable. Works well with NEAK & Siyah kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones