• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Checksum proof that 2.1 leak v3 is 99% identical to OTA 2.1

thenestor

Android Expert
Dec 27, 2009
I just spent half an hour going through each file in the OTA upgrade ZIP and comparing its CRC (checksum) to the same exact file in the "leak v3" PB00IMG.ZIP, including all of the files inside system.img.

Process:
First off, just by opening the two ZIP files with 7-Zip I can see that the boot.img, radio.img, and recovery.img are identical. In both ZIPs, their CRCs are EA7388FA, 54C41EEC, and 3F0153F1 respectively.

Since the OTA breaks down system.img into just the files that need updating (for the purpose of keeping the file size as low as possible), the only way to compare the files with system.img in "leak v3" was to use the root ROM created from "leak v3". (Thank goodness there's an unadulterated ROM of it, so the original CRCs are intact!) One by one, I compared the CRCs of the files in the OTA's system folder with the same files in the "leak v3" system folder.

Findings:
The files that are in the OTA are completely identical to the ones in the leak v3 system.img, with only one exception: The OTA contains an additional app called UpgradeSetup.apk. Obviously, it's only necessary for executing the upgrade.

The OTA also does not include userdata.img or the PRL file because you're not doing a full wipe. You retain your existing user data and PRL, or you can do *228 x2 to get the latest PRL for your network. (You can also do a factory reset to remove both your user data and PRL.) The OTA also doesn't contain an updated version of HBOOT, which I would argue is the biggest difference. More on that in this thread.

Visual:
To make it easier to compare the CRCs in these images (besides the app folder), I removed all of the files from the "leak v3" ROM that were left unchanged in the OTA. After doing that, the folder CRCs matched, with the exception of the "app" folder since the OTA has that one additional file.

Images below. Hit "show" to view.
pb00imgvsota.png

leakv3romvsota.png

leakv3romvsotaapp.png

Thank you for proving my statement.

Of course you're not going to convince anyone of this fact...
Great investigating and quite convincing. But.. it's the hboot that is of concern now. Has anyone you know, and I mean know in the biblical sense, that was on V1 or V2, received the OTA? Has anyone with V1 or V2 been able to update manually to the OTA? If not, why not? If so, there is hope for future updates for the leakers.

Upvote 0
Great investigating and quite convincing. But.. it's the hboot that is of concern now. Has anyone you know, and I mean know in the biblical sense, that was on V1 or V2, received the OTA? Has anyone with V1 or V2 been able to update manually to the OTA? If not, why not? If so, there is hope for future updates for the leakers.

No they can't do it either because of the HBOOT problem. Their bootloader was upgraded just like everyone on leak v3.

Upvote 0

Everybody not running V3 should get the OTA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones