ChevyNo1's SS 4.7 has hit the scene

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

1. 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

32 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

2 vote(s)
    3.3%

Last Updated:

1. FLroofpro

FLroofpro Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hadn't seen any mention of this yet. Link below...

SS 4.7 - FASTER - More Statusbar Options - Music Controls ++ - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

***** ROM Reviews *****

Review by vincentp
    SS 4.6 and 4.7 ROM Reviews

*Note* I decided to combine my reviews for SS 4.6 and 4.7 since they're both very similar and I directly went from one to the other. The differences are not that drastic.

Initial Setup and Boot
    There's not much to say here. Boot and setup went as expected. No problems in my flash of either 4.6 or 4.7. I did (per Chevy's own suggestion) try installing the ROM without wiping my previous ROM, and tried it again later after a wipe. I must say that I experienced no significant difference performance or bug wise whether I wiped my previous (Lithium) ROM or not.

Appearance and Performance
    The stock theme is pretty nice. Nothing groundbreaking, just your typical black with blue highlights and icons. Some transparency is in there and it does look purty enough that I chose not to install any third party themes. Personally I preferred the black leaning styling of 4.6 to the blue leaning styling of 4.7, but it's probably personal preference and not a big deal either way.

Performance wise, 4.6 was amazing. Chevy's kernels have always been good to me. Stock or overclocked, it didn't matter. Everything was smooth as butter. I did have the occasional redraw of the home screen, but I have basically come to expect this with every ROM I've used. Upon upgrading to 4.7, some of the smoothness seemed to go down the tubes. I definitely would give 4.6 a higher score for fluidity and general usage performance.

Battery life was as good or better than previous ROMs with 4.6, but once I went to 4.7 (see the trend here?) my battery life suffered as well with the same phone usage. I haven't been able to determine what the culprit is. Same apps, same usage, same kernel, but much lower battery life. I'm talking 20% after my shift at work when I was used to getting 60-70 depending on how much I used it.

Features and Bugs
    Chevy's tools are always very useful. The inclusion of volume/camera button music controls was nice, but I found it to be too finicky for general use. Sometimes they would work, sometimes they wouldn't. Other times, with the phone in my pocket, songs would stop or change on a whim. The ability to change/remove objects such as the clock from the notification bar is of course always welcome. I didn't experience any bugs at all with 4.6, but with 4.7 I did have a weird recurring issue where the phone would just stop receiving data all together. No texts would come in, phone calls wouldn't go out, data connection wouldn't work, but it showed that my signal was fine. A restart fixed this, but it happened a few times and the only way I realized it was when I tried to make a call and it didn't work, then rebooted the phone to several old text messages.

Conclusion
    Setup 5/5 - No problems here, and it worked like a charm without a wipe.

Appearance 3/5 - The themes are nice, but nothing spectacular. Most people will probably prefer their favorite custom theme over the ROM.

Performance 4/5 - The 4.5 is a combined score. On SS 4.6, performance was juicy and easily scored a 5/5 with all of the kernels and speeds I tried. With 4.7, that degraded a bit, and so did the battery life, so I would give this release a 3.5.

Features and Bugs 4/5 - As always, Chevy's ROMs include a lot of useful and expected features. Bugs are certainly rare, but the one that I did experience a few times was fairly annoying.

Overall (Not an average) 4.5/5 - I would have easily given SS 4.6 a 5/5 here. Since it's a combined review though, a 4.5 seems appropriate. After a lot of use, I was not entirely happy with my choice to upgrade to 4.7. Performance seemed to suffer a bit, bugs were introduced where there were none apparent before, and the theme was a little bit less pleasing to the eyes.

I would definitely recommend giving Chevy's ROMs a try. He's a spectacular developer and releases sweet ROMs as well as sweet kernels. There's not much to dislike here, but from my experience I would stick with 4.6 for now if you are considering going to one of Chevy's newer ROMs.

Advertisement
    gozmon, glitch32, wadsface and 7 others like this.
  2. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

YAY, I didn't think it could be much better than 4.6, so this should be really interesting.

Thanks!

So this Pandora fix has the official Google fix and not the stagefright (build.prop edit) fix?

3. metfan4

metfan4 Member

Are there any themes out for this yet?

4. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

yay! Nice way to spend the day, playing with a new Chevy ROM.

5. MadFoodScientist

MadFoodScientist Active Member

This rom has blown my mind!

6. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

downloading.

btw, first time using ROM manager. should have been using this on the Eris. its so easy

7. coled91

coled91 Well-Known Member

I've had it for a few hours and its so much better than 4.6

8. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

what are everyone's favorite features over 4.6? also my phone works perfect with uLV kernels, should I leave the stock 1Ghz kernel or switch back to the uLV?

9. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

Fav features are pretty much everything new it brings to SS, lol:

If your phone works great with ULV kernels, I would definitely recommend using that instead of the stock kernel (medium voltage) to help preserve battery life. I know I flashed back to his LV 1.1 GHz kernel after installing this ROM.

Jeffery likes this.
  10. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

How does this compare to the speed of Frozen or Lith?

11. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member

Been running this for couple hours now and it is fast and stable. So far haven't had any redraws whatsoever and I can't say that for any other 2.2 ROMs I've used. Don't want to get ahead of myself here, but this is probably the best ROM I've used so far. ChevyNo1 has done an awesome job with this one. Will see how it holds up for a day or two, battery life and all.

wanted to update this post after a day of use, still very stable, but I noticed it's just not snappy fast for my phone, like Sapphire or even 4.6 was. But I gotta say that I get the least redraws with this ROM and no issues of FC or anything. The battery life is pretty on par with any other 2.2 ROM I've used so far.

12. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

this rom isn't as fast as liquid and i havent tried lith, however 4.6 gave me better battery life that liquid so i will try 4.7 tomorrow and see how that goes. quadrand scores are 100 or so less than liquid but are on par with 4.6. seems to run a bit warm to me. im using my p3droid lv 1.2 kernal. which is my stand by for every rom. i may try slayhers new one and ck cpu temps.

13. Quinolin

Quinolin Well-Known Member

when I try to delete system apps (e.g., Amazon MP3), I always get stuck and end up FC'ing. that was already the case in 4.6 and persisted in 4.7. Any suggestions?

(yes, the tools have superuser permission)

14. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I've been running this since yesterday. It's very nice. I really enjoy Chevy's ROMS. They sit well on my phone. I'm going to give Saphire a try, but I have a feeling I'll be back. The great part about Chevy's ROMs, is that you don't have to wipe and rebuild. Just flash over whatever you are currently running. SO convenient!

15. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Okay, so Chevy posted that it will take minutes to boot. Mine has been booting for about 10 minutes now. Anyone else have this?

16. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Mine booted in about 2 minutes. Chugging along nicely right now.

17. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Mine took about 15 minutes, but all is well. Its running crazy smooth. and my temp is staying well below 100. Which is a nice change.

18. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

Noticed lower temps at higher speeds. Jury out on battery life.

19. OneFast3

OneFast3 Member

Yeah nice too see temps lower now. Did a trip around the roms and am back to SS again. Sappire was nice but did get hot more then i liked. The ulv 1 ghz from chevy is running great for me now, just hope batt holds good.

Is a few things i would like to see in this rom but will see where it goes and if i really need them.

Now only if i can get my phone to work outside the house. Damn touch screen goes bonkers alot now and i cant replace for free.

20. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

Pfilly and glitch32 like this.
  21. macdaddybuff

macdaddybuff Well-Known Member

Having a problem with sms message ringer not going off. Its muted when a sms tkt message comes in. The ringer though works because when I call it rings. Not sure why I can not get the message indicator to ring becasue it does not show muted? Anyone else seeing this?

22. shrugger

shrugger Member

I had this issue, but found that if I just hit "wait" instead of FC a time or two it always worked. It takes moments to delete the camera sounds and such, but takes FOREVER to delete some of the big system apps. Try waiting it out and see if it works.

23. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. I can just install this right over CM RC3? Are there screen off volume rocker music controls built in?

24. wags1992

wags1992 Well-Known Member

I have been waiting about 20 mins for my phone to reboot. It just stays on the m logo screen. Should I keep waiting. Also I didn't do a wipe cuz it said it was not necessary

25. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member

Yes there is an option for screen off media keys in chevyNo1 tools under settings.