Chicken roasting hot using maps/GPS

Last Updated:

1. Hamnrye

Hamnrye Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed today my Droid got pretty hot (51C) using the GPS with Google Maps. I don't usually have that on and my Droid has been pretty finicky with roms and heat. I'm using SS2.03 with the 5 slot Chevy 1ghz kernel and it's been much happier. I've got OC set to 800mhz and profiles kick down to 550mhz when power below 25% and/or battery above 42 deg. I keep it at 800mhz when charging. Generally in the 30's (C) with occasional spikes to low 40's depending on what I'm doing. I had my Droid plugged in to lighter adapter while using the GPS and became a little concerned to see it that high. Anyone else experience a lot of heat on GPS and/or should I not be concerned.

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

My Droid always gets a big spike in temp when I am driving with GPS running (depending on the rom and speed, up to about 130F or about 54C). I would not be concerned as your regular temps are fine.

Hamnrye likes this.
  3. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

They always go up... mine ends up around 120... sometimes a little higher. But since I loaded AdamZ LV 1.2 5 step the temps have really come down. my charg profile for Setcpu is set for 600 which is only 50 above stock. I also turn the screen brightness down to a minimum... this keeps the heat at bay as well. I have noticed that if you turn the Freq down to much it can puch temps up as well.... the deck actually has to work harder and tends to warm up faster... and go higher... just my experience.

Another big factor is which way your driving.... if it's a sunny day... and your driving south for more than an hour... expect the temps to go north.. ;). The fact is not to many droids have seen really hot weather yet... so the next few months are going to be telling.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Mmmmmm chicken.

5. Jinnai

Jinnai Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just really used *coughabusedcough* the GPS for the first time last week, and I noted that if the Droid was in the sun, I was seeing temps from 132-137F, but at night or in the shade, it was in the 125-130 range. I was a bit worried about that, but it seems that that's not a major issue--normal temps hover around 80-95F. Granted, I've only been OC'ed to 800MHz, right now at 600MHz (just flashed BB ESE53 0.8), but we'll see....

6. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

I can definitely confirm this. I put mine through the rounds on a long road trip and there were times that got incredibly hot. At one point it got so hot that I shut it down and restarted it and it seemed to run a little cooler after that.

I had the car charger in too and I think that this contributed to the heat build up. Also I noticed that if you can keep it out of the direct sun it really helps. Ultimately I was able to prop it up with a vent blowing over it and that worked out the best.

This was a very long trip (12 hours drive time) in Arizona with full time navigation. Screen brightness was on medium, because the dim was too dim to see well.

I am going on another road trip this weekend and I am going to test it again. I am running a LV kernel right now and I would like to see if that makes any difference.

7. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Plugging anything into a lighter adapter for power will do that. Never been a big fan of those unless it's a necessity. My understanding is that it's not very "clean" power....and no, I'm not talking about emissions.

8. FuhxTehAppelz

FuhxTehAppelz Well-Known Member

it is a direct 12vdc, so any "dirtyness" of the power would manifest elsewhere, as in every other system in the car, and the charger regulates the current and voltage to what the phone is looking for. to drop 12vdc to 4vdc means there would be no lack of current available. this is just a result of monitoring BATTERY temps while simultaneously charging which induces a good deal of heat into a battery, and using a processor intensive app.

Yes this summer shall be interesting. I have been using the cold windowsills to sink the heat out of my droid, when they are gone I don't know what I'll do :eek:

edit: Darrin, try just charging your phone when the battery becomes low, theoretically any time the battery is below 100% the phone will induce a charge current to the battery, thus heating it up.

9. Mipmap

Mipmap Active Member

I have not rooted yet and am still running a stock phone. But I'll add that my stock phone even gets pretty hot when I've been using GPS navigation in my car, regardless of whether or not I had the charger plugged in.

10. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

it will be nice for summer, my air conditioning left my phone feeling quite cold!