• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Child gets around parental controls by resetting guest account (Samsung Tab A, Android 5.0.1)

Frank Z

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
I am trying to use the Restricted User account feature of the tablet for blocking my son from accessing YouTube and certain other Apps. It has been working great for awhile, since he doesn't have the PIN to the main user or Guest account. Recently, I noticed he was on YouTube on the guest account of the tablet. I thought he had figured out the PIN so I changed it on the guest account. The next day I found the same thing! Turns out, after a recent update, when you try and log into the Guest account, it will ask you whether you want to continue using the account as is or reset it (before you type in the PIN). Choosing the reset option will reset the account to square one, remove the PIN, and allow full Guest account access. Deleting the Guest account anywhere on the tablet, still leaves the option to log into it from any profile that is logged in (including the restricted account) and allowing full guest access. I just preformed a factory reset but the "feature" of resetting the guest account still remains. Please help.

Galaxy Tab A
Model TM-350
Android 5.0.2

I don't know the age of your son, but for me with a restricted DATA plan, where YouTube could get terribly expensive, it is a serious matter not to be burning up data for frivolous reasons.

I am ignoring the social aspects of him viewing something he should not.

At any rate, if he cannot respect the rules of using the tablet, then in my house, he will never again be allowed to use the tablet at all.

I also believe in spankings, they work damn good. In spite of Dr. Spock et all.
My kids are now 41 & 42 and they survived spankings.

Upvote 0
I'd think the Guest account won't be able to access or change settings right? What if you deny Youtube permission for Internet? I think that's possible on Lollipop.

I don't want to have to turn the permission for internet access off and on. The guest account can't change settings, but has full app access (not restricted). Previously, I could just put a PIN on the guest and primary user account, so he could only access the restricted account without Youtube app access. Now, he can just switch over to the guest account, and before it even asks for a PIN, it prompts to use the currently configured guest account or to reset it to default (erasing the PIN in the process). Seems this feature has made restrictive accounts useless, unless it can be turned off.

Edit: The tablet updated to 6.0 that night but has the same issue.

Upvote 0
he can still access YouTube thru a browser so locking the app won't stop the kid.

taking it out of his hands totally with the Remark "since you can't be trusted to use it right, you can't have it anymore" will resolve the whole problem.

but, I am a totalitarian when it comes to "don't you dare do that"....

the kid might think it is a game to best his dad, but I won't put up with that nonsense.

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones