chinese gsm/dual-sim

Last Updated: 2012-07-31 14:37:33
  1. atljatl

atljatl Well-Known Member

i'm looking to buy a chinese gsm phone, but i really don't know much about them. i 've done a bit of research on them, and came across a gnex clone (MT6575, approx $150) but other than that, i have no idea what to get or even where to look. i've looked at lightinthebox.com, but would like some suggestions and/or advice.

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I have no idea atljatl, but I dropped a PM to one of our Guides to have a look at your question and see if he has some helpful suggestions for you.

Cheers and best of luck!

:)
    mikedt and atljatl like this.
  3. atljatl

Thanks dude. not much info/trust worthy reviews on these phones, so just wanted to put some feelers out hoping someone here had some experience with them.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Thanks for the PM SA, happy to help.

To be totally frank, many of the cheap off-brand duel-SIM phones in China are not really that much good. It's like with cheapo off-brand tablets, problems with DOA, reliability and bricking.

AFAICT "MT6575" is only a reference to the MediaTek chipset this device uses. Many devices here in China are called MT6575.

The one that stands out for me is the Huawei Deuce though, appears to be a reasonable duel-SIM Android phone from a reputable manufacturer. Although it's only a 3.2 inch screen with Android Gingerbread 2.3, so it's no EVO LTE.. haha.

Don't know about availability outside of China though, where I am.

Odd thing is though the current top-end Chinese Androids are only single SIM, like the Huawei Ascend P1
    atljatl and scary alien like this.
  5. atljatl

thanks. I figured they would mostly be poor quality, but just hoped there may be a couple phones that someone might recommend. No biggie. I guess I'll be looking on craigslist for a good deal on a gnex. Btw, I lived in Beijing and changsha for a couple years back in 2001-2003. How's China these days?
    mikedt and scary alien like this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

That was Beijing pre-Olympics, so much has changed in just 10 years. Like only having 2 subway lines and now there are 15. There's far too many cars and many less bicycles, and the air can be really bad. I know Changsha a bit, went to a friend's wedding there. I love Hunan food though. So much is changing all the time, especially where I am at the moment. Which is a small town in Inner Mongolia, construction cranes dominate the skyline. I've been here nearly four years now, lived in Beijing, Shenzhen, Zhuhai and Hangzhou. Intending to stay in Inner Mongolia for the forseable future though, very friendly, and the air is still clean.
    atljatl likes this.
  7. atljatl

I can only imagine. I'd like to get back over there, but I dont know when I'll be able to. Maybe I'll contact you when I do. ;)
    It's been far too long. I can barely understand people when they speak Chinese now. How's the learning going for you?