"Chipmunk" sound from speaker??

Last Updated:

1. megush

megush Member This Topic's Starter

Today is the first time this has happened & it is very weird.

I use Google Voice and have all of my messages play via the speaker by default. I was listening to a message and in the middle of it, the voice of the caller sounded like Alvin & his chipmunk friends (higher pitch/tone, faster speed, etc.). It did it w/ one other GV message and then didn't do it again w/ GV so I didn't think much of it.

A few hours later I was listening to a podcast w/ the Listen app & the chipmunk voices kept coming and going during the broadcast.

Tried playing a few tracks w/ the standard music player & same thing.

Doesn't seem to be an issue w/ YouTube & definitely has not happened during voice calls.

Any ideas?

BTW - I am not a techie, so please try layman's terms ;-) and I have not rooted my Droid, whatever that means

Advertisement
  2. Droid421

Droid421 Active Member

Same thing just happened to mine for the first time today.

First, it was the alarm app (stock). When it went off, it was set to play an mp3 file from the SD card. It was playing faster and higher pitched than normal.

The second time was when the "Droid" notification for a text was playing and half way through the phone saying "droid" I got a notification for an email and the pitch and speed jumped up again.

I just started the "mixzing" music app and it started playing fast again. It is switching back and forth between normal and higher pitched/speed at seemingly random intervals.

For anyone that may be able to troubleshoot this:
    -I have not rooted the phone and not yet received the update scheduled for this week
    -I have home++ installed, and have for several months with no problem.
    -I haven't made any changes to the phone settings or apps in the last few days (and it started today) except for a few updates of currently installed apps, none of which should cause this- mainly games.

EDIT: I just power cycled the phone and tried to reproduce the problem. So far everything is fine. I brought up the music app and sent myself an email, opened a second music app- Pandora and did a bit of multitasking to stress the CPU.

Will update if it happens again.

Megush- Have you restarted the phone? And if so, has it done it again since?

3. charugan

charugan Member

Just happened to me this morning. TXT notification and mp3 alarm tone both sped up like a chipmunk. Kind of frightening. Seems to have gone away with restarting though. Glad it's not a 2.1 issue.

4. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

15 minutes ago for me as well... WTF?

5. megush

megush Member This Topic's Starter

Quick follow up...I tried everything short of a factory reset then gave up & went to the Verizon store. The tech girl took it in the back for about 90 seconds & all was well. Not sure what she did but I took it in the day after I posted originally & it hasn't happened since.

6. mode

mode Active Member

I found this thread while googling my issue. Sorry for the revival.

In any case, my problem is very similar.

I'm currently running CyanogenMod 6.00 RC2

I frequently stream Pandora, however, recently it has been speeding up the sound randomly.

As best as I can tell, it only happens if I receive a phone call while streaming. After hanging up, it frequently goes back and forth between normal playback and high-speed mode until I restart.

It also happens in Mixzing and in the stock music player.

Does this happen to anyone else?

7. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Is Alvin in your phone?

8. shellmel777

shellmel777 Member

Well, the Chipmunks have started visiting me as well. Anyone find a solution? I powered down and all seems well now, but is there some other app that is causing this or is it the music app (I use TuneWiki). :cool:

9. mode

mode Active Member

I haven't experienced it in a little while. It could have been a glitch with that version of Cyanogenmod. I'm running one of the nightly updates and it seems ok.

Then again, I don't think anyone has actually called while I was streaming since then.

Are you running a non-stock ROM?

Does it happen to you after receiving a phone call while playing music?

10. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Have any of you tried changing your vocode setting in the programming menu?

Dial ## PROGRAM, Send, enter 000000 at password prompt. Change the 04 Vocode setting from EVRC to EVRC-B and press the Home or Back soft key to exit. Your phone will reboot with the new vocode setting.

The vocode setting is for voice, I don't think it will do anything for the data stuff (streaming audio, etc.)

11. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member

I've been having this problem for a few days, goes away with a reboot, but very annoying. happens in Pandora and stock Music player.